Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Ray in it’s Sunday best

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alansan, Sep 15, 2004.

1. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Just got a second-hand white-on-white EB MM StingRay 5 shipped all the way to Ireland from Gard and Scott at Bass Central. The picture is from their site, I’ll post my own next week. Yes, I know, it looks like an ice-cream cone/bride-to-be, but IMO this is a great colour combo for chunky, precision-like bass bodies.

For anyone else in Europe thinking of importing from the U.S. second-hand, I highly recommend Bass Central. Apart from the instrument arriving in mint condition, the responsive customer service via email was reassuring (as were the recommendations from fellow TBers). Of course there is the 21% import tax to pay, but the difference in the price of these instruments outside the U.S. still made it a much better deal than buying here in Dublin (to give you an idea, a new SR5 retails here at around 3200 dollars). Party-on Gard

My fist reaction to the SR5 having only been able to try the SR4:
    PROS
    -to my ears it does nail the SR4 sound, but is slightly more mellow
    -the girth and bulk of the bass is impressive but not overpowering. The bridge, tuners, pots, the whole bass feels very solid; definitely a ‘big guy’s bass’
    -the fretwork is impeccable
    -a more versatile sound then I expected, I even got a surprising upright tone playing at the neck which I didn’t experience with an SR4
    -beautiful grain visible in the maple
    -I am struggling a bit making the transition from four-string basses, but I like the string-spacing

CONS
    -the B string is good but not as tight as I expected
    -the black dot markers on the fretboard are a bit too big and would have been better in white/mother of pearl/ none at all
    -the 3-way coil selector switch seems to make negligible differences to the tone, but that said I haven’t yet played beyond bedroom level volume

:hyper:

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Congrats on a fine looking bass! I like the white very much. I agree that the black dots would be better in mother of pearl.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Great looking bass.

One thing about the B string tension - different strings can make all the difference in the world, and high tension strings are not necessarily better. For instance, I use TI Flats on my SR5 and the B string feels nice and tight.

If you have a chance, experiment with a change of strings - you might be pleasantly surprised.

4. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    thanks bovinehost, I had been wondering about that. I’ll certainly be trying other strings, I find the stock EB (slinkys?) quite rough to the touch.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hey Jack. Can I take a wild guess where that quote in your signature came from?