1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Re-New-ed Member

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Cy_Miles, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    I actually joined the forum a couple years ago when I bought ny Tacoma Thunderchief Bass. I didn't come here often enough I guess and had to renew my membership.

I played for a half dozen years along time ago, (for me early 80s) and then did not play for a long time...

I have been woodshedding and taking guitar lessons for 2 or 3 years now, and have been keeping an eye out for someone to play bass with, but until recently could not find any musical partners, and had even had a few auditions that kind of fell flat... (I don't quite yet have that professional polish on my playing, but am getting closer with each day of practice)

A month ago I started playing with a guy who has dozens of delta blues and rag time tunes that he grew up listening to and playing. I am having a blast doing tunes like 'Empire State' 'Born in the Country' and 'Stagolee'.

We are forming a two piece blues band*** the "Terraplane Blues and Taxi Service"

A lot of the stuff he plays has been covered before by many rock groups, but his style is alot more like the originals, maybe updated and personalized lyrics.

I'll belooking through posts looking for good suggestions on blues and ragtime trunarounds and runs.

I am pretty comfortable with the basic blues walk, and chord progressions, and songs that have alot of new or unusual changes or chords,I get him to break the song down and I write down the parts until I can get used to them and the become natural.

But turn arounds at the end of a 1-4-5 progression can be tricky, as well as endings.

I know one or two really basic turn arounds, but a good player has dozens to choose from.

And I play in many different keys easily when it comes to the basics, but my turn arounds can catch me off gaurd if we're say in Bflat instead of A.

Anyhow I am looking forward to communicating with Bredren and Sistren Bass Players, and hope to be able to post sound clips of my current musical partnership, "Terraplane Blues and Taxi Service" as soon as possible.

***can 2people be " a band?"

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Congrats on getting back into it!

2 people can definitely be a band.

As for turnarounds, if your guitarist has plenty, have him show you some!!