1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Real Book for Fusion Jazz?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kwesi, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Is there such a thing? And i don't mean old "fusion" like Dizzy Gillespie or charlie parker i mean like greg howe or chick corea, along those lines (even hough i realize that those to are completel different musically).

2. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    as opposed to the fake book of Jazz Fusion...
    the regular Real Book is all you will ever need!!!!

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The New Real Books by Sher Publishing have a few Fusion tunes in each one.

Diz and Parker are Jazz, Bebop, not Fusion. Fusion came much later in the 60-70's with Miles Davis, Weather Report and others. Miles' Bitches Brew was a turning point album.

4. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Dang, man, if you think the Real Book doesn't have its fare share of fusion tunes, look again. Maybe not in the sixth edition, but with all the Steve Swallow, Zappa, Chick Corea and Hubbard charts in the illegal ones, its hard to go wanting.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Sher Real/Legal Real Books have their share of Corea/Electrik Band, Hancock/Headhunters, Scofield, Mike Stern, Jeff Lorber, Weather Report/Jaco, Tribal Tech, Breckers, Steps Ahead, etc.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - Jaco's Havona is in there as well as "3 View of a Secret" - fusion classics! :)