a real fnder bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 22, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    hey folks check this bass out,its on e-bay its item number is 2525557052, sorry but i dont know how to make a direct link to the page(i stink with computers) i know its an old bass but the one j pick-up ? thats a bit odd , NO? i read that fender bass history book and know they made some weird looking proto-types and it looks like something that could of been a one of a kind bass, the bass is from an estate sale so maybe its like some dude who had access to throw aways or expeimental basses that never made the production line, OR it could just be a cheap nock off,OR a japan made copy that someone put a fender label on. i'm sure one of our many bass guru's out there got the 411 on this bass, i'm sure its kind has been seen before:confused:
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
  3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If thats a fender neck, it a real old one. Any one have any idea of when fender's patent was still pending?:confused: It'd be interesting to clean it up and see how a lone J pickup would sound in that location. :bassist: If your really interested grab the serial number and shoot an e-mail to fender's customer service. I'm not to familiar with how quick they respond though.....
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope, it's not even a real Fender decal--at least, the lettering on the "Jazz Bass" part is wrong. The neck also doesn't look like it's made of maple--more like pine--so it's not even a real Fender neck stuck on a cheapo body.

There's nothing "Fender" about this, except the logo.

5. that looks to me like one of those 70's Columbus Fender copies. the neck looks like cheap mahogany.
    I don't think Fender ever used small-post machineheads like that- they look like the ones on the recent cheapest chinese Squier P basses.
  6. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    the fender labels look like the real deal except for the one that says "jazz bass" BUT my fickle friends they are ALL in the in-correct place,especially the "custom conteur" its usually(always?)at the end of thew h/stock. well in any case it makes for a different posting on usually a repetitive forum:D
    at least its good for that:meh: which is more than i can say for some basses:spit: