Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A real jazz (not fusion) record or tune with electric bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Aug 3, 2001.

1. I'm really hungry for some real jazz/bop that features electric bass. I am interested in hearing top notch electric bass walking and soloing over changes. I'm thinking of stuff in the vein of "Got a Match" (Chick Corea Elektric Band). Jeff Berlin's latest one definitely has lots of what I'm looking for!

What else should I look into? I'm planning on checking out Michel Petruciani's "Live in Tokyo" one of these days if I can find it. I've heard that Jeff Andrews is an electric "jazz" player. Any recommendations on him? I think I heard him on a Mike Stern tune that was pretty much "electric bop" but I can't remember what it was called.

Don't get me wrong, I love fusion. But I'm really hungry for bebop. I don't think there's an entire album full of "electric" bebop tunes, but if you can think of any album that has a couple of tunes in the style that I'm looking for, I would sure appreciate any suggestions. (Remember, think "Got a Match" ;))

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Jeff Andrews on Stern's Time In Place.
    Earlier in the week, I was re-visiting The Breckers' Straphanging album...one tune in particular had Marcus Miller walking over the changes as Mike Brecker went off...
    Thinking of Mike Stern made me think of Bob Berg; the tune I'm thinking of is "Bruze"(written by Stern, it's a 12-bar Blues with some walking bass; there's also a decent version of this same tune on a Leni Stern album w/ Alain Caron).
    Tommy Kennedy has some swingin'/walkin' moments on Dave Weckl's Synergy album("Swunk" is the tune that comes to mind).
    Haslip with The Yellowjackets..."Downtown" or "Out Of Town"?
    How 'bout Oteil on "Plain Or Peanut" from the last Aquarium Rescue Unit cd(5 years ago?)? Highly recommended tune AND very Bop-ish.

Actually, I'm thinking my examples are similiar to Corea's "Got A Match"(I'll listen to it tonight).
    IMO, these examples may have some elements of Bop...not really Bebop, though. The head to "Bruze" is pretty Bop-ish, as are The Yellowjackets' heads...Brecker was weened on Bop, you can hear that as he solos over Marcus' swingin'.
    Bob Cranshaw also has played electric Bass on some mid-'60s Blue Note releases...again, not 'Bop' per se, actually Hard Bop. ;)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK, I listened to "Got A Match" this a.m.; not the tune I was thinking of; regardless, IMO, the above suggestions are in the same ballpark(& Patitucci is smokin' on that tune!).

Here's a couple of other OBVIOUS choices(now that I'm awake)-
    Gary Willis...just about every record he's played on has that same vibe as JP on "Got A Match".
    Next to "COREA" in my cd rack is "COSTER"...as in Tom Coster. The two releases are Let's Set The Record Straight and The Forbidden Zone.
    Alphonso Johnson & Dennis Chambers on LSTRS are doin' exactly what you want on the opening tune("To Be Or Not To Be").
    On TFZ, Jeff Andrews & Dennis Chambers are doin' it large on "Jazz Lament".

Also, How ''bout Wooten?
    Re-visit "Hurricane Camille" from the Flecktones' debut album.

I'm beach-bound(the f-ing rain has finally given us the day off).
    Hasta luego, y'all!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Michel Petrucianni trio live in Tokyo.

As straight ahead Jazz as it gets, with Anthony Jackson on bass, no less.

I think I'm gonna pull mine out of the mothballs right now...