A really different new image for Mohini Dey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

It really seems to me that she is really playing up the sexy look in a way Western female musicians avoid. It’s all good, she is a good looking young woman, and she has enough chops for two virtuosos.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

a cutie and a badass! nice combination. :D

byoung93888, Ductapeman and Swerve like this.
  3. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Too painted up for my personal taste, I am personally more into the natural look, and frankly think face paint makes woman look straight up ugly, especially overdone, over the top like this, unless they do the whole gothic look with white powdered face and black makeup.

Well, you brought it up, whatever that has to do with playing bass.

When that is said no denying she got some seriously impressive chops, even if her style ain't my cup of tea either.

In that aspect I guess her looks goes well with her playing style.

Very flashy, over the top and in your face.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. You really think Western female musicians don't play up the sexy? I mean, not all do, obviously, but kind of a generalization, no? There are plenty of good, Western female musicians that are sexy, IMO. Maybe they don't glam it up with a ton of makeup anymore but they're out there.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think Pop musicians often go for the sexy look. I think women want recognition as “serious” musicians usually try not to sex it up too much.
    A good example is Esperanza Spalding, a great musician many find attractive, she definitely goes for a nice look, but not one that is overtly sexy.

6. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    As said I don't find it particular sexy with makeup in bright colors smeared out all over the face.

Could be that the musicians you talk about just have a different perception of what makes a sexy look as well, rather than deliberately avoiding looking too sexy.

There's a difference between looking sexy and then cheap and campy and then again like a four year old painting them self up with their mothers makeup or someone who just auditioned for the job in a circus as a clown.

Although I am sure that there are people finding each of these categories sexy respectively.

Personally I find Tal Wilkenfeld's looks a 100 times more sexy than that color explosion accident, and her play more tasteful as well.

7. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I just enjoyed listening to her play.....:)

8. Guess you folks don't see many young Indian ladies over in the US. We got a large Indian population here in the UK and Mohini's look is nothing I don't see everyday.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There tens of thousands of South Asians in the USA. I think they tend to be more Americanized and blend in with the general aesthetic.

I think I should have said nothing about Mohini Dey’s appearance. She is a bassist, an impressive bassist who may end up being truly great. That is much more important than a shiny dress or lipstick.

wintremute, knumbskull and Clark Dark like this.
  10. No, Doc, you were just observing an image change from a maturing young musician. Many, if not most, musicians have grown into different looking/sounding versions of their former selves. This is a natural part of the aging process. The other day there was a clip of one of those boy bands getting together for the first time in twenty years or so. I think it was 'N Sync. Five middle aged guys singing about "Oooh, it's you, girl" and that kind of stuff. No longer age appropriate. I found it more disturbing than seeing Mick and Keef trying to continue on as if they're still in their 20's, but that's just me. If they can still get up and rock as septuagenarians, great. That's a worthy goal that many of us share. Cringeworthy in some cases, though. Point is, we all are moving forward and changing as we go. How we handle that is the real question. Mohini Dey is at the age where she's no longer a kid and isn't hampered by being physically repulsive, so good for her. I doubt this was her manager's decision. Now, if I was her father and she was going out with a young man, that'd be another story.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree about the Stones, there comes a time to pack it up. I don’t care how great a shape Mick Jager is in, he just looks goofy now. I would simply like to see more Rock Stars simply put the Grecian Formula away. Seventy year old dudes with dark hair just look phony.

Back to Mohini Dey, if she is becoming a star India for her ability as a bassist and seen as sexy too, that is actually way ahead of what many female entertainers have to serve up to stars in America. My oldest played some Cardi B for me and it was truly cringe worthy!:eek:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Charlzm and jamro217 like this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Did anyone else notice that her right hand and her bass look almost exactly the same when she's gettin it?

jamro217 likes this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I just thought that was kinda funny Screenshot_20180507-184405_Samsung Internet.jpg

Swerve likes this.
  14. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Was trying to figure out how to explain myself, perfect description.

JKos and TuneSalad666 like this.
  15. Yes, she is an attractive young woman. Yes, she is made up a bit heavy. But, it might be a cultural thing there. I would have to say that her abilities as a bassist make her one of the most impressive I have in seen in quite a while. Thanks for sharing, Doc.

Clark Dark, Dr. Cheese and Swerve like this.
  16. Kinga Glyk is more my style.

instrumentalist and Christine like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope it is obvious that if she were not a great player, I would not be talking about her. I have never posted about women in the bassists section if they were not serious players. There are plenty of places on the Internet where I could ogle and comment on cute women if that were all I wanted to do.

18. I just Googled Cardi B and was instantly reminded of just how much the world has changed from what it was when we were that age.

Charlzm and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Does she ever look like she actually wants to be playing? That's what I keep noticing. In one video she even rolls her eyes as if she's completely bored.

- John

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    alesreaper9 likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’ think anyone gets that good doing something he or she does not like.

hrodbert696, Sixgunn and Clark Dark like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.