1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A really serious question - would you buy an instrument Made in Poland ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KISSbestfan, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Yes, this thread might be weird, but I'm just very interested how would it be.

Some of you may know about a tradition of guitar building in Czech Republic (earlier Czechoslovakia). No doubt, Jolanas were popular at Western Europe, even George Harrison and Eric Clapton played Jolanas. Also a good known brand Spector has a factory out here.
    Anyway how about the instruments Made in Poland ? I aint talking about Defil brand, because its already dead, and its impossible to buy a new Defil. Some of you might know our boutique brand Mayones, that I believe is known worldwide (even China produce Mayo copies lol). But most people in Poland seem to prefer Fenders, even cheapest ones, except the few, like Wojciech Pilichowski. So maybe the customers itself are waiting for the thing at other countries.

I know that in the 60's and 70's MIJ basses had not good reputation, and later it has changed 180 degrees. And actually I feel the same about the instruments Made in Poland - while most people hates them, or just doesnt mind, I find them great.

So thats my main question - even if you have easy access to MIA basses, would you purchase a "MIP" bass if it would be possible ? (of course I'm talking about any kind of basses - luthier or boutique copies of well known basses, or factory made basing on original projects)

SwitchGear likes this.
  2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    If it feels and sounds good I don't really care where it was made .

howlin, MobileHolmes, bobalu and 13 others like this.
  3. If it's well crafted, who cares if it's made in Poland, USA, Korea, Zimbabwe, or by the penguins of Antarctica?

Sidenote: I own a Spector ReBop (Czech made) and couldn't be happier with it.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I wouldn't care where it was made. It would just be a curious footnote to me.

howlin likes this.
  5. I'm asking because one of my dream is to see a big band on stage (but a big well known band like for example Aerosmith) with at least one guitar Made in Poland. Remember my first thread ? I made a list of basses produced in Defil (except the custom made ones, that were made for a special order - a friend of mine got himself a copy of Dave Murray Strat handmade 100% produced at Defil using only Defil parts)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/point-view-eastern-europe-951639/index2.html

And the design is mostly far away from MIA basses. Thats why I'm asking.

6. If you want a good example of a Polish product, look up Laboga guitar amps!

7. A friend of mine got an Laboga amp, and wanted to sell it last time I spoke with him. Rather small, but pretty nice ! And of course I know that its Made in Poland ;) Also you might know a brand EXAR that makes guitar pedals, and I believe its known abroad

8. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I just checked the Mayones site and I am IMPRESSED!... Very nice instruments.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i get most of my sausages from Poland,.. does that count?!!;)

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Mayones is the only Polish brand I would buy. It goes great with pierogies & kielbasa! :bassist:

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah if they were nice instruments I'd buy a bass from Poland, sure.

The Japanese stuff - they started out producing deliberately-cheap stuff, that's why they had a bad reputation. As soon as they decided to take on Fender they matched them (or exceeded them) for quality and under-cut them on price. I see no reason why a similar operation in Poland couldn't do the same thing.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I may be racist, but I refuse to play a bass built by a flightless bird.

Doctor Hugocat likes this.
  14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I would be more concerned by the fact that they don't have thumbs.

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    My grandfather came to the US from Poznan, so no, I wouldn't have a problem.

16. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    I like okacum and zywec . Or however the hell you spell those two tasty polish beers

17. "Okacum" is actually "Okocim" and should be pronounciated oh-k-o-tsim. And "Zywec" is actually "Żywiec", and about pronounciacion ...
    foto_8fa0ef43deb4302330649332ab8a6d85_org.
    ;)

Basically most Polish beer names are the same as the city it was produced (like in USA the Milwaukee). I really like Polish beer, and Polish products in general - thats why I'm mostly wondering about the basses too !

18. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    Hey I was close!:) I would buy a polish guitar. I used to work with a couple of polish cats. They couldn't speak much English but they had the work ethic of a mule and the craftsmanship of a master carpenter. They were great ambassadors for their country. Also I remember pronouncing that beer like shrivietz!

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    As long as it doesn't look like this.

But seriously, I have owned Korean made Ibanez basses, Czech made Spectors, MIA Fenders and Alembics. A great bass is a great bass regardless of where it's made. If it plays well and sounds great the country of origin is of no concern.

20. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Marial likes this.