A really well made/designed and really light head without too many bells and whistles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cnltb, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Hi!
    I am in the market for a head.
    It should be light and flexible in terms of the loads it can take.
    I'd like something with not too much a colour of it's own. As transparent as possible so I can do the coloration as needed without the amp dictating anything.
    Price is not too much of an issue as I tend to keep equipment for a long time once I have settled on something.
    What would you go for?

Thanks

2. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    I've been looking a lot into lights head's recently.
    I'm leaning toward the GK MB500 but I've looked into a lot others and have been recommended to get from the following.

Quilter 800 which is supposed to be very transparent.
    As well as
    The Mesa Subway (more bells and whistles on the 800+)
    Aguilar TH500
    Genzler Magellan 800

3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    +1 on the Quilter BB800, although I wouldn't say it's transparent. It has a great sound and very intuitive controls. I use mine when I play out all the time now. At 4 lbs, it's a breeze to carry and at 800 watts into 4 ohms I'm never short on power.

ScottTunes and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Aguilar TH500 is a great sounding amp but I wouldn't describe the tone as transparent. It's also one of the most "tubey" sounding non-tube heads out there, IMO.

el murdoque, Aqualung60 and MrLenny1 like this.
  5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Element Zero likes this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
    I too have heard good things about Quilter and am quite interested in trying one !
    Other current candidates include Hevos '1000S', Eich 'T1000', Glockenklang 'blue sky' and Vanderkley 'spartan'...and I may try to check out the trick fish heads too...

Thanks again!

HolmeBass likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Get a Quilter Pro Block 200 if you don't need 800 watts.

Quilter Amps

DOH!, just noticed the 1,000 numbers in your last post :wideyed:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Gord_oh likes this.
  8. LeftyD

LeftyD

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    A Bergantino Forte

Attached Files:

zon6c-f, scowboy, loki2772 and 5 others like this.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    With an efficient cab, 200 may well do.
    Thanks!

Gord_oh and Killed_by_Death like this.

10. Sounds like you want Bergantino forte’

Close thread now?

11. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Try the Aguilar AG 700. Clean clear.

Fir more watts, try DNA 1350.

12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I own the MB500 and MB200 heads. Both are pretty incredible for the size and cost. Made in USA and supported by Jason in SoCal. There's a more powerful MB800, and the MB Fusion 500 and 800. Both have a tube in the preamp. They are louder than their watts say and very portable. I am so thankful I chose GK, I like buying US and they are well made, loud, and punchy.

I've been kicking around the idea of trying out the Quilter 800 but I'm put off by the EQ.

Mesa Boogie? Carlos Santana at Woodstock. Mesa Boogie pushing quality and boutique before there was such a thing. Pretty much the Rolls Royce of bass amps. The amp can go down to 2 ohms, which means 3 x 8 ohm cabs if you ever want to go crazy with volume. Another one on my bucket list.

As we all say here on TB, this is a great time to be a bass player for equipment! Good luck, keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Ductapeman and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  13. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa Boogie Subway D800 is the amp you seek. I have a D800 along with various GK amps and a Quilter BB800. The Mesa is the most transparent, easy to use amp of any of them. The biggest problem with the Quilter is the lack of a proper DI (not a problem for me, as I also have the Mesa D800 DI pedal that I use when I run the Quilter!)

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The ultimate "no frills" amp is a power amp & 1,000 Watts should be easy to find.

zon6c-f, blubass and JRA like this.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I use my Quilter BB800 DI on just about every gig. What's not proper about it? I don't like that the Master is tied to it but the DI is fine IME.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You answered your own question :)

A DI tied to the master volume is not a proper DI.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    If you want something light in weight, I would go for an 1980's GK 800RB or an early 2000's 1001RB-II. Hartke HA3500 and HA5000 are also great choices.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I disagree. Mine still sends a perfectly functional signal to the board.
    :D

My issue is with how my amp deals with my cab and DI output. It's different but that doesn't make it improper.

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Bada Bing! :thumbsup:

zon6c-f likes this.
  20. That list covers all of the cool new amps I secretly want to try but have no real reason to. All of the outsiders. Especially the Eich and the Vanderkley.

BTW I played a BB800 once as backline with a GK 212 and it killed, was a great rig, smooth and powerful.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021