Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A recent 5 string convert?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassdadto2, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Hey Michael,

I am a recent convert to 5 string after 27 years of 4 stringing (and quite well, i might add). I thought the conversion would be easy, and it has, except for 2 things: I still occasionally miss and hit the wrong string, and the B string seems to ring sometimes when I am playing agressively. Great, as long as B is part of the key, but......

Do you know any exercises I can do to get myself accustomed to that extra string, and any techniques to mute it?

Thanx

Fowler

2. hey, i had the same problem when i changed to a 5.
    try this, when your playing something that doesn't include the B string, instead of resting your thumb on the pickup, rest it on the B string, this mutes it (obviously)
    hope this helps
    *Si*

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Bassdad,

I am a lifelong 4 stringer myself. On the rare occasions that I've played five, I felt like I had to learn everything all over again. When I ordered my new MTD, Mike Tobias was a bit amazed that I ordered a 4.

I've heard that you must totally imerse yourself in the 5, forget the 4 for a bit. Allow yourself the humiliation of "starting over". I think, as your muscle memory develops on the 5, you'll soon see you have all the prowess you had on the 4.

I say that to myself as well, but I still keep getting 4 strings :p

Mike