1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A recent 5 string convert?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassdadto2, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Hey Michael,

I am a recent convert to 5 string after 27 years of 4 stringing (and quite well, i might add). I thought the conversion would be easy, and it has, except for 2 things: I still occasionally miss and hit the wrong string, and the B string seems to ring sometimes when I am playing agressively. Great, as long as B is part of the key, but......

Do you know any exercises I can do to get myself accustomed to that extra string, and any techniques to mute it?

Thanx

Fowler

2. hey, i had the same problem when i changed to a 5.
    try this, when your playing something that doesn't include the B string, instead of resting your thumb on the pickup, rest it on the B string, this mutes it (obviously)
    hope this helps
    *Si*

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Bassdad,

I am a lifelong 4 stringer myself. On the rare occasions that I've played five, I felt like I had to learn everything all over again. When I ordered my new MTD, Mike Tobias was a bit amazed that I ordered a 4.

I've heard that you must totally imerse yourself in the 5, forget the 4 for a bit. Allow yourself the humiliation of "starting over". I think, as your muscle memory develops on the 5, you'll soon see you have all the prowess you had on the 4.

I say that to myself as well, but I still keep getting 4 strings :p

Mike