A Refreshing Experience

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Feb 23, 2001.

1. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I did my 1st gig with an Irish band,"On the Dole",last night.I had a ball even though there were some rough spots due to limited rehearsal time.The lineup is rythm guitar/vox,rythm guitar/vox/whistle (both guitarists play electoacoustics),accordian,bowron(the spelling probably isn't even close,it's a handheld drum played with a small stick.The guy who plays it also doubles on whistle.),drums and bass.It's my 1st experience playing this style of music and I really had fun.And an added bonus was that not one person asked if we knew any Skynard!
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    What type of music is that? And are those acoustic-electric guitars or hollow body electrics?
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The Corrs Backing Band I believe :D

I believe that drum shows up in many of Corrs' videos BTW. It looks pretty much like a nordic(Lappish) shaman's drum.
  4. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I just met these guys like 10 days ago and I confess to having never heard any of their repertoire before in my life,so I really wouldn't know what label to stick on the music they play,but I do remember the titles of some of the tunes they do: "Paddy Public Enemy", "Fisherman's Blues","Nancy Whisky","Ten Bottles of Gin",you get the idea.They have a weekly gig at a place downtown which to me is an attempt at a faithful repro of an Irish pub with an unpronouncable(to me) Gaelic name and Gaelic inscriptions on the walls. The guitars,to answer your question,are an Ovation and a Godin,both using piezo pickup systems.Two of the lads were born in Ireland and the accordianist was born in Scotland.Fun stuff!
  5. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    That sounds interesting. It's a good thing there's no fiddle! Those are quite jarring to my ears.
  6. Oi! I LIKE the sound of the fiddle! :D
    If it's used with good taste, that is. :D:p
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    @ virtual.ray

I think it's called a bodhran
  8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Freeeee Biiiirrrrrrrd!!!!