1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Request By A Curious Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeBassGuy17, May 12, 2011.

1. I Have been toying with the idea of having my bass (A Yamaha BB415) modified by having the upper cutaway trimmed deeper to match the lower cutaway symmetrically. I was wondering if anyone with experience in photo editing could show me an example of what the modification would look like, just to get an idea.

Greatly appreciated.

2. Symmetry is for squares.

3. Still would be happy for any help regarding this.

4. Well posting a picture of the bass might help as well.

5. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Put it on a big piece of cardboard and trace the lower bout from the neck joint around to the strap button. Then flip it over and trace from the strap button around to the neck joint.

6. [​IMG]

That bass, simply in it's Black color.

7. I don't think you'll be able to make the upper horn identical- plus I predict neck dive due to moving the strap button toward the bridge.

8. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Don't think I'd do it- there's a lot of wood there at the bass side bout, and it seems to me it's providing mass that you might wish you hadn't taken away from that vulnerable spot.

Know what I mean? That's where the two parts of your bass are bolted together, and you want to be certain there'll be enough wood there when you're done to hold up under the string tension. You don't want your bass to become fragile there.

I could be over-thinking it...

9. I appreciate the comments. I have only been pondering the idea and it is interesting to get insight and other views. Instrument ergonomics is something I have been thinking about recently and just thinking of ways to have my own instrument modified to improve access to the upper range (Though when is that required for many gigs? ;))

10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Probably won't be just identical without losing a lot of wood, no. But you can move the strap-button to the back of the neck, and it might considerably reduce neck dive.

Here's what I did to my Hamer, and how I moved the strap buttons to the back of the bass...

Before:
    Hamerfront.

Hamerdingagefromfront.

After:
    NoPickGuard.

Stillneedswiring511.

Stillneedswiring511rear.

The strap buttons as shown work- but it pulls the bass to your right and it becomes very easy to move it to a vertical position.

Thread is here...

11. The Modifications you made look very good. Did you ever get around to taking a picture of you wearing it to show how it balances?

12. No, I'd agree. I think that taking away that much wood from that top horn/neck side might compromise the integrity of the neck joint. The BB415 is a bolt on neck and a 5-stringer, so I'm not so sure that removing that much meat is a good idea when you consider string tension, depth of the neck pocket, etc..

If you look at the pics of the Hamer, both top and bottom horns intersect the body around the 18th-19th fret. Making a bass like that symmetrical is much less risky, since much of the wood being removed is mostly from the top horn.

The Yamaha top horn intersects the body at around the 15th fret; the lower one comes in around the 19th. That's a big old chunk of alder to slice away to make the top horn look like the bottom. Too much, IMHO, based on what I can see in the pics.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the symmetrical look myself - but why would you want to mess with the Yamaha's shape? I think the BB series basses are good looking as they came out of the factory.

13. Thank you very much for your input Ghostdog93. It was simply just a thought to better access to the upper range. I do like that symmetrical look and I think the best decision is to leave the body as is. It is a classic great looking and great sounding bass. I was simply thinking over the idea. I do know that my next bass will be more symmetrical in that regard.

14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I was considering an Epiphone EB-3 before I did the Hamer. The Hamer happened because I really like the neck- the narrowness side-to-side, the heft front-to-back, and the conservative taper from the nut to the bridge saddles (the side-adjustable saddles make that happen!). But the SG shape, and the Series-1 Alembics both do "that thing" for me. I ended up with a Westone! But it's the same ballpark, or close.

The EB-3 is a cool bass, might require some tuning up though. the one I played had a little fret sticking over the edge of the fingerboard, but that's fixable. And you can replace the stock neck p'up with that old-design Model-1 DiMarzio, which is a great pickup. It's got a good deal of sound in there, and just short of 'hi-fi', which is handy if you're into an older-school idea.

Pix today of the Cruisebass in action, I hope! I finally got the correct jack soldered in last night. It's a 3-terminal stereo jack, so the pre turns on/off when you plug/unplug.