Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A review of some Musicman basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, so I started off with an OLP Stingray 4. It was a really nice bass, fast, fat sounding, deep, nicely made. Then I tried a Bongo. Again, a wodnerfully punchy, deep, well made bass. Then I tried a proper Stingray...... :bawl: I thought it was gonna be amazingly good, but it was horrid. No nice tone, characterless, no punch, nothing. I then moved onto a SUB Sterling. This was also like the stingray. I also tappd on the body, and it reverberated.....I think it was a metal body, as no wood body I have ever tapped has made a metallic ping like this SUB. I then tried a Stingray 5er. This bass also had no character, was awful to play on, and sounded in general, awful. So, I like Bongos and OLPs, but hate Stignrays and SUBs.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

I know this sounds stuped, but I can verfiy what Nick is saying. It REALLY did sound like a metal body, cold to the touch in a warm room aswell. Ill post what i thought of the basses later.

Play nice kids.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I don't get it. Maybe you played a bad ray. Bad strings, battery, setup, faulty something?

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Just to clear this up: we played this at the third day of a UK trade show, that bass had been played for two 12 hour periods by the greasy, smelly, slap-monkey, british general public.

It was amplified by a god awful headphone amp and some cheap 'phones.

This is the root of the "horrid stingray" problem.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nick,

Having been the owner of a pre-EB StingRay (back in 1980) and more recently of a StingRay 5, and somewhat regretting having let them go, I believe what you call bad tone or so etc., is just that obviously these basses don't fit what you're after.

I think it's a bit hard to say these basses have "no nice tone" while so many famous players get (or got) such great tones out of them :

Tony Levin
    Flea
    Paul D'Amour
    Dave Larue
    Nick Fyffe

just to name a few...

Cheers,
    JL

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Case closed. I played a sadowsky under similar conditions. It sucked as well. Then I came back when it was in good condition and plugged into a good amp. Don't judge something until it's at the top of its game.

7. NO! Not case closed. If these head phone amps suck so much, how come a Bongo and OLP sound gorgeous, yet a Stignray sounded rubbish?! :mad: The Stignray is a characterless pile of poop, IMO. And I stand by that.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm not too sure if this qualifies as a review. Did you really play any of them for more than five minutes?

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    And how come you get such a bad tone with any StingRay, while Tony Levin gets so fabulous ones ?

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

I played the same basses, about 15 minutes on each of Bongo, Stingray, SR OLP and SR5.

For the record i really liked them all. I REALLY liked the SR.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im going to take a wild guess and say its because tony can actually play ;)

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Easy one, because Mr. Levin secretly used a Warwick on all of his recordings and when he's playing live, he's ghosted by a Warwick-wielding studio cat, of course!

14. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i played a carl thompson through a very nice swr rig and hated it. To each its own. but for the record i think hes wrong :)

15. Because it was a bad 'Ray? Not every bass can be perfect Nick, you have to take this into consideration.

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nick, with all due respects, those conditions aren't fair ones to solely base judgement on. Think of it like this. Before you got your Ashdown, couldn't hear the full potential of how good your basses sound. Well thats a much more drastic case with these headphone amps. I've played through them before, and they really don't do the bass you're playing them through justice. If you could play that Ray through your Ashdown, I can guarentee that you would change your mind.

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I gotta disagree. Ernie Ball/MusicMan is known for their consistant quality control.

18. Anything can happen. By bad it could of either been put together wrong/bad something when being made or it could of been poorly treated by the owner. I've played a Ray here in town that was totally horrible because it hadn't been taken care of, but I've played plenty others that have kicked ass.

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well yeah, an owner can treat a bass poorly, but these basses displayed at trade shows are brand new out of the case intruments.

20. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree.
    The first time I played a Ray was at SamAsh in NYC. I also expected to
    find a top notch bass, and left quite dissapointed: sounded awful.
    I now own a MM SR4 and my opinion changed dramatically.

For me, occurs something similar same when I sample a wine. The right enviroment (right temperature, quiet place, good previous storage, type of glass, etc.) can make it express its full potential, the wrong one can convert it in a horrid drink.

Try another Ray, give it a 2nd chance, and you´ll surely change the way you´re thinking today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.