Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a Ric with no pg?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soontobedead, Mar 16, 2006.

1. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    hey there... i wonder if anyone here has a pic of a Ric with no pickguard. Just wondered how that would look like. I can spot a Ric because of the pickguard and headstock... but i wonder if anybody tried removing the pg.

(sorry for incoherences... i'm kinda wasted :D )

2. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    You mean something like a 4004?

3. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    dunno about models.... i remember seeing lemmy's a couple of times... but i've never seen a flat colored one

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    If you remove the pickguard on a 4001/4003 it would be a mess.....nothing but routing and wires.

A 4004, OTOH, is the way to go......love 'em!

[​IMG]

5. that says it all... and even it didnt have all the routing and whatnot under it, it really doesnt look as good as you may thing. the binding really doesnt have anything to match or go with.

6. Man, I am digging that all black 'stealth' one really well... giving me a bad case of *GAS"

-ryan-

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Hey Incubus, i was wondering how the 4004's soudn in comparison to the 4001/3, I'd imagine darker becaquse they dont have the maple wings, but anything else? is itthe same electronics & stuff?

8. 3 of these don't have pickguards:

[​IMG]

9. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    woa that is a nice bass on the far right there. The black with the bluey white lines :Dlooks great

10. is it just me or does the upper horn on the 4004's look bigger? are they actually bigger or is it an optical illusion cause they don't have body binding?

11. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    That's funny, to me the horn on the 4004 looks smallerr (slimmer).

I think it's almost the same template but the 4004 just has really heavy rounding around the endges.

I love the Lemmys :bassist: One of the best looking basses ever, IMHO.

4001/3's have the GULIEST routing you've ever seen in you life. The routing for the wire chanel leading from the neck pickup to the control cavinty is made with a drill bit rather than a router bit. Basicaly they make a series of conected holes in a curved line from the Neck pickup rout to the control rout. Ugly as sin really. Also the neck pickup rout is big enough to fit a Thunderbird pickup in there. Rick can actually change to location of the neck pickup without changing the rout.

~Paul :)

12. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    I think part of the reason the neck p'up rout is so big is that's where you remove/install the trussbars.

13. Man, someone is just going to have to pull off their Ric's PG to let us all see the f'ugliness or something.

Also, BlueFlameRick... I'm uber jealous of your collection, especially the one with the flames man, real nice collection.

-ryan-

14. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Anything to get out of working for a few min.

I wouldn't call it fugly, but I'm certainly not taking it off (where would you mount the controls?). I'm pretty sure they made the path for the wire to the neck p'up open at the top (rather than drilled thru the body like the bridge p'up) so you can pull the PG off without detaching the wire (since the neck p'up is mounted to th PG).

You can also see the grooves where the truss rods slide out of the neck into the huge neck p'up rout for removal.

Attached Files:

15. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Partialy, yeah. You need the room to tap the rods out of the slots they're wedged into at the body end. The rods are still removed at the head. I was just pointing out that they ahve been able to move the pickup all over the place without having to change their routing any.

~Paul :)

16. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    I haven't replaced the rods on mine, but I'm pretty sure they come out at the body, NOT at the head.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio

The p/u's are Ric humbuckers so they are different than 4001/4003 single coils.

Just for info....the Translucent Green 4004Cii has walnut sandwiched by maple wings and the JetGlo 4004 Laredo has maple wings. The LK and Ci have walnut wings (obviously).

Basically they have the traditional, standard Ric tone with a kick to the low end. The more walnut there is certainly adds to the "dark" tone but the difference isn't huge. The Laredo has more treble biased leanings and sounds the most like a 4001/4003 (IMO).