A RickenJazz Body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by krovx, Mar 31, 2022.

1. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I just commissioned this and the builder knocked it out. So excited to get it going. Took a tracing of a 4001 and adjusted it to a pbass. 3 piece body with walnut and maple. Going to start with some Man O Wars and then possible purchase some Ric style pickups.

Was thinking of originally spraying with a blue but I might go oil finish after staining to make the grain pop.

Hoping it balances well on a strap...might have to experiment with button positions.

IMG_20220329_153649128.jpg IMG_20220329_153656758.jpg

2. Discount Bassy

Discount Bassy Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Right Here.
    FSO - Fender-Spirited Object.

6-3-2 and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    What neck is the pocket cut for, a jazz neck?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Yes, a Fender spec'd bass neck

6-3-2 and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. What do you mean by "spraying with a blue"? Blue paint? Covering that beautiful body a solid color would be a sin! Oil sounds great, and would look killer, but then you also mention stain. What kind of stain did you have in mind?

DJ Bebop, Ryan in PDX, krovx and 2 others like this.
  6. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    So, jazz pups but it looks like in the Ric locations(?)
    That should be pretty cool.

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Very cool :thumbsup:

I'm in, sub'd :D

6-3-2, DJ Bebop and SlowpokeJoe like this.
  8. Mickey666

Mickey666

Apr 22, 2020
    Oklahoma city
    That's the exact shape I've been looking for, brilliant!
    Any chance I could get one of those?

9. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    If you don't already know, maple hates stain. I don't know enough to advise, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will advise on how to treat it, to get it to take a stain evenly.
    As for balance, I'm gonna bid that it comes in at 8.8 lbs and no neck dive.
    Let's see if I come the closest without going over.

krovx likes this.
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I’ve stained - well not stain, but dye - a few maple bodies. Wetting the body first, then applying the color in several thin coats, helps for even distribution.
    Depends on the individual neck used, and depends heavily on the tuners used.

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Love it!

12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    You can use a gel stain on maple, but they leave material (color) on the surface so getting a top coat that jives with the stain is very important. You could also use a tinted poly (or lacquer for that matter). I had a good experience with the pecan color in polyshades by minwax.

13. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    You gotta get your bid in before tuners are announced.

14. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I tried staining hard maple, once, with just regular oil based stain. It looks terrible. I assumed that the colored maple that turns out nice is dyed, rather than stained.
    Even water based stain is blotchy on maple. At least for me.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    FENDERBACKER

16. The fact that maple takes dye inconsistently is part of what makes the color so vivid on figured maple, but on plain maple it just looks blotchy. Tinted clear is probably the best way to get a consistent color on plain maple.

17. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Was going to try to match the discontinued midnight blue. That was prior to seeing what was used. I was okay with him using some scraps for a 3 piece body.

Yep, at the 24th and 36th fret locations, adjusted for 34" scale.

I used a JAG 4001 (he sells on esty) blueprint to trace the shape and stuck with pbass contours as the 4003 ergonomics and bridge always bothered me.

Thanks all for the maple ideas. I have various stains and dyes and will try to pick up a test sample of plain maple.

The neck will be a 1 piece wenge jazz vintage spec with mandolin frets and hipshot ultralights.

18. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Lots of tung oil. It will darken the walnut and amber the maple.

Novarocker and basmansam like this.
  19. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I have been using tru oil more these days over tung. Was told that it would be possible to use the tru as a sealer and spray nitro later if desired. Was directed to never spray over tung as it never dries. That all may not be true but curious what pros tung has over tru. Definitely prefer the smell of tung.

20. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    If you want Ric-style and sounding pickups, you want a Nordstrand Audio Nordenbocker. I bought one of these to replace the neck pickup on my 4001 and it sounds just like a real Ric pickup but with a bit more gain. The reason I bought it is because its reverse wound to the stock pickup thereby making the bass hum cancelling when both pickups are on.

Novarocker likes this.