Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Ridiculously Obscure Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toe-mas, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Toe-mas

Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    Alrighty, I know this is a ridiculous thing I must ask, but after I've broken my brain searching what seems like a million avenues I have little other resource than throwing myself at the mercy of TB. I love playing fretless. I love playing 6-strings. I play left handed. agh! The only ways I've found to get a 6-string fretless lefty in the 35" scale that i'm used to are almost entirely custom or semi-custom like Carvin. Bolt-on Warwicks can be had at 35", and Spector Euro series stuff can be as well, but both are expensive as crap and the Spector only seems to come with a rosewood board, which with my mad fretless slapping may not be the most durable. If I got a Warwick I might have to put different PUs in it, because i'm not terribly fond of those MEC ones. gah

So of course, my question is: Does anybody know of any other options without going custom or semi-custom for less than a grand? I don't expect anyone to have a perfect answer for me, but any input would be appreciated.

Also please no grumpy lectures about how one must never slap a fretless. It sounds wonderful, I like it, and yes, it wears the fingerboard out faster. :spit:

Thanks!
    -t

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Rondo Music has Brice HXB sixers (lefties, 35 scale) in stock sometimes.

3. Doing most the work yourself(i.e. assembling, electronics) it could be cheaper/cost the same to go the Warmoth/USACG route. Quality is second to none from what i hear as far as ordering custom parts. My swamp ash body came in the other day(black finish), simply flawless.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

If you really really like your Stiletto just wish you had a fretless version, DIY man, unless you want a He-man fretless... then maybe Rondo? I'm not sure about that.

5. Toe-mas

Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    Warmoth doesn't make Gecko-6 necks left handed! And they're asymmetrical! I checked. :bawl: I suppose I could email warmoth and see if they could one-off something for me, but I have a feeling that'd be a bit of dough.

Rondo doesn't have any right this second, I checked there too. Maybe I should email them too....Kurt, isn't it?

I actually thought about buying *another* stilleto and defretting it, or having it defretted to be safe, but I would like some diversity in my bass arsenal. Still an option, although...I've heard that a lot of fingerboards of fretlesses are thicker to account for the lack of frets sticking up and that taking them out can weaken the neck. With 6 strings I might be afraid to weaken the neck in ANY way. hmmm.....

Thanks!
    -t

6. Do talk to them, you may be surprised. They're making me a very custom Strat/Tele hybrid body for which they told me they had to do some re-programming of the CNC machine and the extra cost came up to a whopping $45.

7. Try USACG, Tommy's INCREDIBLY flexible. He'd probably bend over backwards to create the first 50 string bass if you asked.