Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A rig for Upright and Electric bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatbass11, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    I posted a simular thread in the upright page, but I wanted to get an opinion here as well.

I'm an EB player and I just purchased my first Upright Bass. From what I'm reading it seems very hard to have a rig that will have a natural sound for URB, have enough wattage for EB, and be reasonably portable.

A high end 210 combo was my first thought. I'm currently looking at an Ashdown or Carvin. The Euphonic Audio iAmp combo was a possiblity but its hard to find a dealer in the MA area. Furthermore, for the price of a high end combo, I could get...

A seperate power amp and preamp! The carvin DCM1000 would be perfect. I could get a K-K bassmax preamp for URB and a Sansamp RBI for EB. For speakers either a Bergantino or Bag End, and I would like to limit the size to (2)112 cabs or a 210.

Another choice would be one speaker enclosure with 2 heads. I could pick up an AI Clarus for URB and keep my old Ampeg V4B for EB.

Any thoughts?

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive used my Carvin RC210 combo for playing both UB and EB in my old high schools jazz band for 2 years. it worked out very well. defenitly loud enough for jazz concerts, pep band gigs at sporting events with the EB, and jazz combo outings in coffe houses with both EB and UB. i think its a helluva deal at the price i paid for a new one. one thing though, the included 2 10's dont have a very low bass response (-3 dB @ 68 Hz i believe) so the cab doesnt respond that well to a B string if you intend on using it for that. oterwise its perfect. you can take the R600 head out too and upgrade the speakers later if you so desire. ( ive plugged my R600 into an eden D410XLT recently... damn nice) feel free to IM, PM, or email me if youve got any questions about the RC210, and good luck!

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Do you use the guitar and the fiddle at the same gig? Whats worng with your current 2-10" setup? What about size and weight?

I think Chris Fitzgerald's expando micro rig is probably the most well thought out for a fiddle biased player. I've never heard this setup but I can imagine myself carrying it around. I think he makes to the car in one or two trips and doesn't need any Advil.

4. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    VicDamone,

I checked out Chris's gear under his profile. I've considered a Contra/Clarus but I would need more wattage since I would need URB and EB at the same gig.

My current 210 is a Mesa boogie and it just sounds too cold. I'm currently using a Gk800 or an Ampeg V4b. While I still like the sound of the Ampeg for EB, I need to get a very clean sound for URB.

Also, I'm just tired of the GK sound.

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Spank

I think I understand some of your question. I'm not sure what the difference is between "clean and cold" and that's my fault.

I've been happy with my system, excluding the preamp, but it's almost on the large side unless I leave the sub behind. I maybe wrong but I think a 2-10" or two 1-10"s are going to be a minium for decent bass guitar volume. You might check out Euphonic Audio and Glockenklang.gr for some quality intergrated heads.