Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A rig of epic proportions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFWbass, Feb 22, 2006.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I currently have one ampeg 8x10 and dont have a head thats really a good match for it. I need a suggestion. I have a warwick corvette 5 string, and an active jazz bass. Im looking for a crunchy, fat, mean distortion with a lot of definition and punch... like the bass equivalent of that mesa crunch. I play in a band that sounds like He is legend. Any suggestions?

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    How about a Mesa 400+ or a Big Block 750?

3. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I was looking at the mesa 750, but people say its not as powerful as it looks. I need as much volume as i can get out of this cab.

4. A 400+ would kill paired up with an 8X10.

5. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Mesa is coming out with a bigger brother of the 750 with will be the (?)Big Block V12. Similar to the 750 but capable of 1200w at 4ohms (1400w at 2ohms)

REgardless, a 400+ (warmer) or a BB750(punchier) should be obscenely loud

edit:

Here's the V12
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/titan/titan.html

6. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    do you think a big block 750 could run two 8x10s?

7. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    If I was to run 2, I'd go for the Titan V12 or 400+.

I can't remember if the BB750 can do 2ohms or not.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I must take this opportunity to recommend the Ampeg SVT-II. I use one through the 810 and it sounds like God's own bass tone. Not only is it the greatest sounding bass amp I've ever played, it is a total bargain too. I paid $799 used for it. They're built to be very reliable... Ampeg doesn't make 'em like they used to. There is a new version of it in production called the SVT-2 PRO but the tone is different... it's somewhat muddy sounding and just lacks the balls of the original IMO

EDIT- It would be killer with two 810s. It handles 2 ohm loads.

9. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'd recommend either a 70's Ampeg SVT or the Ampeg SVT-VR that is going to come out in March.

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You want all the fat, punchy grind of an overdriven all-tube SVT-CL.....specifically, the one in my signature.[/jedi]

Seriously though, That cab was made for an all-tube head. Whatever head you choose, if you go all-tube, you won't be sorry.

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman 300. End of Thread.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you need a ton of volume and a Mesa sound, get the Mesa 400+ with a Bergantino 610 cab, which is louder, goes lower, is smaller and lighter, yet sounds similar to an Ampeg 810.

13. hasn't anyone said peavye classic 400 yet? How bout some other amps you will never see...

Orange AD200
    Trace Elliot V8
    Hiwatt DR405
    Marshall VBA400

and to round things out, somebody really must say sansamp in front of a GK.

But really, if you like distortion, you should try Ampeg SVT2. Alos heard the Mesa 400 distorts easier than the 400+.

14. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    How about an Ampeg SVT Classic?

Edit - looks like it was suggested.. how about an SVT-2PRO or an SVT-6PRO? If you are gettin an ampeg 8x10 then an Ampeg head would definitely complement it.

15. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I actually (After I Posted) Thought that the Orange AD200B and the Marshall VBA400 would be good choices. The Hiwatt DR405 and the Trace Elliot V8 are super good choices too, but seeing how you may never see one, let alone for sale...

16. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
  17. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
  18. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Timmy C uses an SVT2 plus a homemade OD for his distortion rig.
    I hope you know, 2 810's will cause damage to your ear canals over time, unless you're playing at stadiums on a regular basis. :D

19. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    Personally, I run an Ampeg SVT IV Pro into my SVT810E cab with a DBX 160A compressor on it and I couldn't be happier. I also use a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string bass, standard tuning. I'm thinking about switching to a II Pro or a Mesa M-Pulse 600. What I would suggest is going to Guitar Center, Sam Ash or some other music store around you and try as many heads with the 8x10 as possible and decide what is right for you.