1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Righty Thunderbird strung lefty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp Objects, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I'm a Thunderbird lover, even though I'm left-handed. I got one anyway and restrung it. I finally got around some pictures, for those who are lefty and are thinking about a Thunderbird.

And NO, I don't think it looks stupid upside-down. :ninja:

l_3cb521943d82e6dd95486cc6bfd6726f.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That looks kickass upsidedown!

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how does it feel without the rear body indention... how about the controls up by your arm?

just wondering, i'm a lefty, too..

:)

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    A few years back I bought a non-reverse Epi T-bird which looks "normal" upside-down.

5. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I can't even notice any missing indentation, it's pretty comfortable, well, to me at least :smug:

And the controls only get it the way of playing with a pick, which I hardly do anyhow. It's not really that bad.

Another note:
    You'll also notice that I put the strap button on the horn. This helps a tiny bit with dive, but if you plan on "flipping a bird" :D just put the button by the heel of the neck like others do. It'll probably be better.

I wish Epiphone would redo the non-reverse, just so I could have the other flavor. But it needs the pickups they use on the current 'bird. No PJ deal. (not that I don't like Ps or Js.)

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Probably balances better

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I would take the pickguard off.

The only guitar I ever played like that was my first one, a Fender Mustang. What a pain it was to play it like. since then I've played nothing buy lefty instruments.

But kudos for not letting the fact that Gibson/Epiphone don't make a lefty basses prevent you from playing one.

8. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    i think the pick guard looks silly! take that of i think it look fine

9. Post back if you see the neck start twisting or warping at the headstock on your E side. I've often thought about doing a reverse P style using a lefty neck, but I've heard the strain of the big E on the long side of the headstock is too much(maybe not for Gibsons?).
    Josh

10. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    No way bro, looks great!

(got a bit of a Halo fetish there, eh?) ;)

11. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I just put mine up for sale at my local guitar store.:( (I'm also a lefty playing it upside down) At first I thought it was an easy conversion, but I could just never eliminate the neck dive. I even moved strap button to the back plate and it still felt odd.....(and I removed the pickguard)
    I loved the tone (I had put black tape wounds on it too)...
    Oh well, at least it will be easier to sell since I switched it back to righty!

12. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I love the pick guard. I like how the bird looks like its dive-bombing towards some prey, haha. But thats just me.

The E-string warping the neck? I'll let you know if that ever happens. I've never heard of a neck warping because of that.

Halo fetish? Yes. Thats not even all of it. ;)

I probably could sell it, but I don't think I ever will, even if I make my (dream bass) warmoth Entwistle Fenderbird (lefty of course).

The only real gripe I have with the bass is tuning it. Having to reach all over and under just to tune. Small price to pay though, I love it.

PS-I saw one of those Chinese made 'birds, and they seemed a hair thinner then my Korean made. Anyone know anything about that, is it thinner?

13. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    Here's another. Please excuse the messy living conditions :D

02-25037.

Yes, you see a Fall Out Boy poster and a Led Zep Poster in the same room. I like ALL KINDS of music, so I don't wanna hear anything from anybody...

14. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I've never been a big fan of the Thunderbird bass, but the way you have it set up makes much more sense to me. Like it should have been that way the entire time.

It's not going to make me buy a Thunderbird - that's because I'm also not a fan of how they feel in my hand - but it's good to know that someone else thought this rearrangement was more logical.

15. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    What's the string spacing on those?

16. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    My god that looks simply fantastic. Some basses just look confusing for leftys, that on the other hand, looks superb.

17. Hi.

Cool mod, looks good. Congrats.

Well I've never been a fan of Fenders, but the Billy Gibbons pic of the upside down Tele has made me wonder...

It was, but Gibson had to change that for legal reasons. God damn Fender ;).

Regards
    Sam