Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Rotto-zip (and more)?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Prahainspring, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I was searching online for different Tools that I could use to cut out the basic body shape and I came across the "Rotto-zip". Would this be an adequate cutting tool for cutting out the body? Or would I should I not bother looking into this more and just use the local High School's Band saw? (wait for it, I have some more questions) Is their a certain Blade for cutting out the body on the band saw? The one at the school looks almost like this.. http://www.nicks.ca/Mule/band.fnc.jpg

Thanks-

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't know what the roto zip is, but use the band saw. You will probably be able to get by with any blade 1/2" or narrower.

3. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I think the Rotozip falls somewhere in between a router and a Dremel in terms of power. A Dremel is very underpowered, and a 2HP router is adequate. My guess is the RZ ain't gonna cut the mustard, so to speak. Even if it were powerful enough, it's nothing I'd want to attempt freehand. A well tuned bandsaw with a good blade will make the cuts very easily.

Incidentally, if you don't have a lot of experience with a bandsaw (hell, even if you do) take the time to search for some safety pointers. A bandsaw is probably the most common causes of emergency room visits for woodworkers. If you're lucky in an accident, you'll nip some skin. If you're unlucky, someone else will be playing that beautiful bass you're building.

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I agree, spend the money on a bandsaw.

Cliff

5. Roto zips can potentially be hard to control at times when you hit variants in the wood like knots. I used one on occasion when building some furniture and i got frustrated with it and got a bandsaw.