1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A sad day for ABBA fans everywhere

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Mar 17, 2008.

1. How do you accidentally cut yourself in the neck? Was he running with scissors? :confused:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A sad day for ABBA fans? What, both of them?

Alas, sad news.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :smug: You are such an @$$ haha.

4. Chris, that was a good one...but really, there are thousands of soccer moms and receptionists rejoicing to the sounds of ABBA while seeing "Mama Mia" on Broadway...so there's a few fans left...:smug:

But serious, still sad...

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    pfft, i know all of you sing 'dancing queen' when there's no-one around....

r.i.p.

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    It's not on your compilation disc?

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    RIP Ola. :(

I think it can't be denied that Abba made some truly great music. I like a lot of it, but I've simply heard too much of it so I'm tired of it. Too overplayed. Reason: People liked it too much. I can't think of two musicians that are more acknowledged in Sweden than the Andersson/Ulvaeus duo that wrote (and produced?) Abba's music.

A few years back, the Swedish funk band "Nils Landgren Funk Unit" released a nice refreshing album with new version of 12 Abba songs, called "Funky Abba". All versions aren't that good, but a few are really great. Amazing grooves and vocal harmonies, and even some rap that fits the context very well. Btw, NLFU is The scandinavian funk band, featuring the most hired Swedish drummer Per Lindvall and the very sought-after Danish bassist Lars "Danmark" Danielsson. There's also one other drummer on the record I don't remember the name of. Not a bad drummer either... :)

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    When I first saw Super Trooper on an ABBA cassette track list I thought it was a Deep Purple cover :meh:

9. I only dug those two chicks in abba.

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's actually a darn good album, interesting takes on the standard ABBA stuff. The bassist is very good ..... :cool:

11. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The heavenly hi-hats are opening and closing on the 2 and 4 right now somewhere high up above.

:bag:

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Cool someone over there also have heard of this album. :) Great bassist for sure, and he seems to be a really nice guy too. I've seen him twice in the jazzclub I work sporadically in. Per Lindvall is a really nice guy as well, I had a chance to chat with him once when I gave him a ride to the airport the day after they had a concert. :)

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    :D

I guess you mean on the [SUB]1[/SUB] AND [SUB]2[/SUB] AND [SUB]3[/SUB] AND [SUB]4[/SUB] AND....

Anyway, it worked. :cool:

Guess you missed the paragraph that said he actually was a jazz drummer though....

14. No coming out of the closet here- I was never in it. I LOVE ABBA.
    Sadness...
    :(

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'd like to know more details. Accidental neck cut? What was he doing?

16. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The leader was the trombone player, IIRC, who also had excellent chops. The whole band was really very tight .... would have been cool to see them in person .... :cool:

17. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Ouch.