Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A sad day for me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Oct 18, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well yesterday I went down to BassNW and gave them my Warwick Thumb BO Wide 5 to sell for me. It was indeed a sad day for me but I think its for the better in the long run. Once it sells i'm going to buy a stingray. The weight of that Warwick was just to much for me and it was giving me some bad shoulder pains. Oh yeah if anyone is interested talk to bassnw about it. I sould be on their website tomarrow *shameless promotion* :bag:

2. That is sad.
    Another Warwick brother lost. But that's cool you're gettin' a stingray. I use a thumb for my 5er and a musicman sterling for my 4.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I believe there's something wrong in some specs somewhere, since on the sheets the Thumb BO appears to be lighter than the Ray (9.02 lbs for the Thumb BO 5, 9.31 -> 10 lbs for the Ray, depending on the version). Isn't it rather a matter of balance / neck dive ?

Anyway, condolences for your Thumb, and welcome to the Ray world ! ;)

4. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    From what i've felt (when i held both of them) the ray felt lighter, or yeah maybe more balanced. And when i weighed the thumb on my scale at home it was about 12 or 13 pounds so i don't know. I think the neck dive of that huge neck may have also put strain on my shoulder.

Edit: oh yeah you may also be thinking i'm getting the 5 string ray. But i'm moving back the ray 4.

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, there's obviously something wrong in Warwick specs.

About the Ray, the 4 weighs 9.31 and the 5 approx 10 lbs, still based on manufacturer's specs.

And anyway, yes, the Rays are very well balanced, which helps stand their weight pretty much. They are not that light (my SUB5 is even slightly heavier than an SR5), but the balance is perfect and... a ComfortStrapp makes you believe the weight of your bass has suddenly been divided by 2. That also helps much when you play long gigs (such as I do), but I believe this always works best with well-balanced basses.

Man, you can't go wrong with a Ray, either 4 or 5. Have good times burning down every house you're going to play in ! ;)

6. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the comments you guys, I just have to wait for the bass to sell and then for the all black with maple fretboard to get into BassNW.

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Good luck, man. According to Warwick US prices that are insanely high, I guess it won't take long until someone gets your Thumb.

8. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i've never seen a wide thumb, anyone got pictures of both the normal and wide?

cheers

9. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  10. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks Luke, it must be sad losing a warwick, i on the other hand am just about the enter warwick teritory, bought an ash bodies corvette 5 off the bay, cant wait.

Sad to hear about your loss tho mate :(

11. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I can relate to your woe. I sold a streamer stage 1 six string, the sound of which I love, was so heavy, 13 lbs, that my back went into a severe spasm on steve coleman gig, midway through and I had to lean against a wall to get through the gig.