1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A sad day indeed.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Idiotpod, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Idiotpod

Idiotpod

Feb 11, 2009
    Got Djent?
    Today dear bass-players is a sad day for me.

Today I sold my whole rig... A Yamaha BB414 (modified jack for tele-cable), ashdown-rig and a boss gt-6b that I really loved.
    These things have been with me for about 6 years, I loved playing my BB but when an old band broke up I never continued. I don't know why I stopped playing, but when I touched my bass I dident even want to play.

My QQ for this thread is this:
    Have you ever "stopped" playing bass and started again later?
    Have you ever sold anything you regret?

Best wishes
    Matt / Idiotpod

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Yes I was in an originals band for the better part of a decade when it broke up I didn't play for a couple of years. Thankfully I held on to my gear and started playing again and now I enjoy it more than ever and play everyday.

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Sold my yamaha 5 piece over 8 years ago and haven't played drums since, but hey, rent was due..

4. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I stopped playing for years, after an accident made it too painful. I only started again last year, after some equipment changes--and a lot of rehab. I'll never get rid of my old Jazz, but I don't play it because it's uncomfortable.

5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    I quit playing for nearly 10 years. I have some regrets over the lost time and opportunities but I don't dwell on it. Now I am giving equal time to bass and guitar and I am really enjoying the discoveries I am making on this second journey into the musical realm. Never say never, starting over is always a possibility.

As for gear, I regret selling all that I have sold. If I bought, it was because I really dug it. I wish I had half the stuff I've sold, I'd have a sweet collection! Now I only sell gear to get other gear, I will not sell it to pay bills...it leads to bitterness and regret more so than a long term solution to cash flow problems.

6. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Ah man, I'm feeling this now, I feel like flogging the whole lot. I haven't played in a band for 2 years, and haven't really picked my bass up much now days.

7. I quit in 1995. I was having personal problems, and the last straw was when a band director yelled at me during a recording session. I finished the session, but quit the band the next day, sold all my gear, and didn't play again for almost 12 years. Didn't touch it at all.

I started again in 2007. It came back pretty quickly; I was surprised. I'm playing better now, and having more fun doing it, than ever before.

On the one hand, to become a great player, it's better to persevere, keep studying and practicing even through the inevitable times when it isn't fun. On the other hand, this is real life, and sometimes we need to focus on other things.

I guess all I can say is, be honest with yourself. If you really aren't feeling it, maybe it's time to move on.

Oh, and I sold a Pedulla Pentabuzz Signature, in absolutely mint condition, for $900. :(

8. Not necessarily bass playing, but I had to sell most of my scuba diving gear and my motorcycle when I moved to Maryland...bills to pay (and also to finance my growth in bass playing: a band!) My last dive was January 30th of 2010, and my last ride was right around that time too.

Hopefully next summer I will be able to get another motorcycle, even if it's just a Ninja 250.

Peace,
    Greg

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Yes.
    Yes.

Don't look back. :)

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i "just" came out of retirement after a 12yr hiatus. i thought i was done for good, but joined a very good band with a ton of gigs!:hyper:

you'll be back...;)

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm about to sell my LMII + GK Neo 112 (my only bass rig) to fund some more camera gear. Haven't used it in over a year so it's time to go. I only play at church these days.

12. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I had 'consumption' issues and ended up selling EVERYTHING for my habit. That stole about 10 years of my life and my music.

I regret the turn my life had taken but then again, now being on the other side of it, it has also given me many positive things.

I wish I still had my vintage EAW 2x15" cab. Everything else I had can be replaced.

Breaking up is hard to do but it's best to keep on playing. You'll find the joy again.

- Best of wishes to you, OP.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I sold all my gear a few years ago and quit gigging. I didn't die or wither up and turn into a recluse. It's OK, really, to sell your gear.

-Mike

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I had stopped playing for about 17 yrs. This was after being a music major in college. I got back into it and haven't looked back.

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I haven't played much since a spinal fusion in my neck about 14 months ago ,,,

Had to recover and gain strength and endurance again ...

Now that I have recovered nearly 100% I just haven't gotten back into it ...I've tried and its just been a chore ...

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I stopped in 2003 and started again in 2011.

17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I started playing in 1970 and had two loooong breaks due to this thing called "life" and all it's happenings.

Quit all together in late '82, got married, became a dad and decided it best for my family to find a steady job with benefits.

Ten years late I got divorced in '93 and started playing again (Talk about rusty!!) A year later I joined a weekend band and did that until '96. Quit playing again.

Twelve years later I picked it back up in mid 2008 (not too rusty this time for some reason) but then I really got into it when I got laid off for 14 months starting in late January, 2009. Been at it since...more or less due to a very long work week. These days my only gig is about once every three weeks at church. With my work load that's plenty! Just wish I had more time to practice differant things.

I only had two amps and one bass all along and the only thing I sold was one of the amps about ten years ago. Got more basses now!

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    After playing on-and-off from high school through graduate school, I quit for about nine years due to job, family, etc. I played guitar occasionally, but my bass gear was in my parents' attic. When I finally returned to bass, I took it much more seriously, and got much more out of it. If playing doesn't work for you now, don't worry about it. Music will always be there when you're ready to come back.

I have sold a bunch of gear, with no regrets, but I slightly missed a good MIJ Precision for a short time until I got my G&L SB-2.

19. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I've come close to selling all my gear but something told me not to sell, and I'm glad I didn't in the end because eventually I formed a band I liked.

Maybe you'll get your mojo back. Sometimes it can mean taking a prolonged break. I don't necessarily think that once you stop playing bass, that's it forever.

20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I played in high school and trailed off. Then, when I was living in NYC, a friend asked to borrow my bass. I foolishly left it in my car waiting for him to come pick it up (didn't want to haul it up a four-story walk-up), and the car was broken into and the bass stolen. I didn't replace it because I wasn't playing much anyway.

About 15 or 16 years later I finally bought a new one (well, a used one off craigslist). That was three years ago (I'm 41 now). I'm playing every morning, in a gigging band, and couldn't be happier about it.

Life happens. You're situation this year is not necessarily what your situation will be next year, internally or externally. If bass starts tugging at you, you'll get back into it.