Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A sad day, sold my Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Feb 16, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Today marks a watershed event in my bass playing life. I've never before sold an instrument. I always keep the ones I buy, and although I do not have a huge collection of basses, they each have had a special spot of their own. I've sold a few amps and PA gear before, but the fact that it's my hands on the bass that makes the music, somehow gives a more personal connection to the instrument.

Anyway, I broke down and sold my 18 month old Geddy Lee bass. I found the slim neck would cause my hand to cramp if I spent lots of time around the 1st-4th frets. I wasn't playing it much, and once the Lakland Joe Osborne found its way to me, I knew that the Geddy was an orphan. Luckily it found a new home with a coworker who promises to take great care of it. I must admit I was sad to see it go, but it's better than having it sit in the corner gathering dust.

Anyone else have a similar attachment to their instruments?
    Shannon

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I recently aquired a sense of nostalgia for my first ever bass, a 1993 jazz bass. I contacted the guy that i sold it to and hes not using it anymore (needs new electronics) so he's going to give it back to me, nice guy eh? WIth a little work itll be playable again and ill ahve my original baby back. I doubt ill play it at all but its still nice to have.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You may always miss the bass, but life goes on. Trust me.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can't even begin to remember all the basses I've gone through in the last 5 or so years. Last count was around 40. You'll get over it. You go through phases and stages. Sometimes a jazz just won't cut it, sometimes it will.

I used to have quite a "stable" to choose from. It was fun to try all kinds of basses and all kinds of price ranges. I have worked my way back to just two basses, and pretty inexpensive ones at that, but they do what I need them to do.

Have fun!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im all for having a few basses, no more than 4. And at that, mostly 2 that get any playtime. Ive never been the type to like many instruments at once, usualy 1 or 2 do everything that i need and i cant bring myself to play more.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I had serious disposable income, i would develop a collection. Since I don't two has been my limit. I am seriously considering three but I just don't think my wife would go for it. and bass is not worth the peace of my house.:ninja:

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think you did the right thing - but I can empathize with you...it's a loss for sure. I recently traded a bunch of stuff in, and I had to go back and buy back one piece (an Ampeg SVT-410HLF, because it was my first real bass cabinet, I use it, and it couldn't be another one - had to be *that* one. You just need to replace it with something you really love (and it sounds like you already have).

Skel

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Well, prior to selling the Geddy Lee bass, I had 8 basses and two guitars. I'm still trying to sell one more of the basses to clear a slot for the Lakland Darryl Jones that is on order. Here's the lineup as it is right now:

Aria ProII TSB-400 - my first bass, never get rid of it
    Aria ProII SB-1000 - the bass that I gigged with thru college, a keeper
    Signature jazz unlined fretless - gotta have a fretless!!
    Signature jazz fretted - on its way out, replaced by....
    Lakland Joe Osborn
    Fender GB-41 acoustic - great for practicing around the house and some acoustic duo stuff
    SX P/J - nice knock around bass to mod and mess with
    SX telecaster - a good player and backup for the band at gigs

Once the Darryl Jones shows up, I should be "done" :bag:

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    define inexpensive.. haha

10. I have cycled through a lot of gear in my history and I only kick myself over getting rid of one - a Steinberger XL2. Part is because it's a cool bass, part is because it'd be worth a bunch of money now! On the plus side, I did use the money to buy a custom 8 string from Hamer and I still have that so it's all good, really.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Not really, I kinda miss a 72 J I had and a 76 Ray but, to me, musucial istruments are just tools. If it's not getting used, sell it and keep the basses you wanna play. :)

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, pretty much same here. If you arent playing it, sell it and buy something you will use :)

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My WLOB (wife's limit on basses) is five. I try to keep my stable at the maximum! :D

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Whipped...
    :rollno:

(j/k) ;)

15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    After many weeks of hard thought, I just sold my Alembic. It was a hard decision being that I had it for 16 years. But I just did not play it anymore. It still sounded awsome, but the feel just didn't appeal to me anymore. So off it went to a fellow TBer! But it went to a good home......an awsome Latin style session cat from NYC who's played with the likes of Roberta Flack, Grover Washington Jr., Tito Puente, and Marc Anthony.

To make me feel better......I am having a custom Carvin Elite being built for me now. With the specs I asked for, it should be a beautiful bass!

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i've already decided that i will never sell any of my basses unless i ABSOLUTELY have to. i hope that will be never.

17. i have always been a one bass, person. when i get a new, or different bass, i decide which one i like most, then sell the other. i always sell it cheap, to a young person, starting out,
    on bass. however, i will be purchasing a second bass soon, so i can keep one, down-tuned. i have always played Fender Jazz's (mia). i have no emotional attachments to my basses.
    they are my "paint and brushes", my ears are the canvas.
    :cool:

18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    now i remember my Samick Bass,i want this amazing bass back to my hands

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I couldn't of said it better myself!

20. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    The only basses i have let go were at no mental loss to me. a '99 or so Kramer Barretta, hah, i actaully just gave that one away to a friend after bandmates called it my "satan bass". The other was an '02 ibanez ergodine, which was easy to get rid of because it was a soul-less bass that was used for 2 or 3 recordings. I got a good price on it too. Now i play a '92 P-bass that i wouldent trade for the world, its just one of those....