Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Sad, Sad Day for Sports Fans

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    :mad: :mad:

Pacers 97, Pistons 82. A SMALL MINORITY of drunken fans at the Palace......a big fat frickin ZERO!

How much alcohol do you have to injest to be stupid enough to throw beer on a 6'10" 240 plus pound athlete? How surprised should you be when he decides he ain't gonna take it? Toss in the fact that the athlete in question has been anything but....uhh....stable over the past several weeks.

Unfortunately, these two teams meet again on Christmas Day in Indianapolis. Let's hope the fans in Nap-Town have more sense and less beer.

:mad: :mad:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah i just saw this on the news, it was really sad

:(

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Eh, it's unfortunate, but not surprising. The NBA is a sorry state all around.

4. AlexK

AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    You'd think that they'd have at least SOME security keeping the fans off the court. Some of those guys just ran onto the court totally unimpeded and attacked the players.

Has to be one of the craziest things I've ever seen at a sporting event.

5. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    I've been watching this for the past hour or so...Joe Dumars said it best - everyone is accountable. Ben Wallace for overreacting to a moderately hard foul, the rest of the teams for mulling about on the court, Ron Artest for laying down on the table and then jumping into stands, the fans for throwing the cup, the fans for punching, the players for punching, no party handled this in any good way. This is truly a sorry state of the NBA right now, and I've been saying that way before this happened.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What happened?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wow.......wow....

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I was watching the game live on TV. I've decided to boycott the remainder of the NBA season.

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i havent seen anything about this being in australia but im from indy so i think i have a good view on this. NO WAY ron artest hit sumone, i dont beleive you!!!

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'll continue to watch, but I gotta say, every fan that got punched deserved it! These stupid a** fans running onto the court punching players in the face, and when the players defend themselves, they're the ones who are gonna be sued. I thought Philly fans were the dumbest in the nation. Congrats Detroit, you've EASILY overtaken them! Don't get me wrong, the players deserve their fair share of the blame, but I don't see too many people holding the fans accountable. Funny how noone wanted to boycott baseball when players and fans mix it up. BTW, I wonder how many of those poor fans will be charged with assualt.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A sad day indeed. I used to love the NBA in the days of Bird/Magic, etc. I don't ever watch it anymore. I guess you can't be surprised when the thugs they have playing in the league now act like thugs.

13. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The first reaction would be to blame the players, sure "For all that money they need to be able to control themselves," But those fans were a disgrace. Lots of blame to go around on this one...

Tom

14. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    I've been practicing this for several years now - the NBA has been garbage since Jordan left (the second time).

This is nothing new to fans of Chicago, and especially Chicago Blackhawks fans, who have been chanting "Detroit sucks" since the beginning of time.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    This was my point. No mention of the fans' responsibility. Am I the only one that realizes that it was A FAN that started the fracas, or is it only the "players" who are thugs? BTW, When that one fan got his tail kicked for challenging that hockey team, he got blamed, when that fan got the hell knocked outta him for running onto the football field, he got blamed, but in this instance, it's the NBA players who are thugs. I do see the bigger unsaid picture.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Woody I agree with you to a point...the fans were jerks. However, there is NO forgiving Artest for going up into the stands. If he'd stayed on the court and the fans had come down it would have all been on the fans, but him going up into the stands...there's only one word for his actions:

Assinine.

:scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

And yes, I do think that professional athletes should be held to a higher standard - they are being paid inordinate amounts of money to play a child's game. Taking a bit of aggrivation from fans should not illicit such responses - hell, if I were making that money, I'd let people throw beer at me every day! I'd just laugh all the way to the bank. These childish temper tantrums are pathetic.

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I hear ya..

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Pretty much how I feel. It's still hilarious though :)

19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I thought it was awsome :D

Probly because I miss hockey

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Ron Artest, who, IMO, is moronic most of the time, had every right to go into the stands. He was hit by a fan. As for being yelled at and talked about, yeah, they just deal, but when it becomes physical, all bets are off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.