1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Sad Sound Check

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pshep68, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Gig on Saturday night. I haven't gigged in almost three years... Sound checked tonight using my SansAmp Bass Driver DI going to the front house and parallel output to my Ampeg 7Pro & Ampeg 610HLF cab (first time using this amp/cab combo)... I was using a X2XDS95 wireless... It was a sad night. The sound tech said there was a buzz from rig going to the FH...after it was all said an done it was the SansAmp. Ended up using a crappy house DI with no preamp capabilities. After that debacle, tech said I sounded great out front. While searching for the source of the buzz, I used an instrument cable instead of my wireless...it was like night & day. The cable signal was ALOT better... so I scrapped the wireless. In my opinion, I sounded like crap... It gets worse from here. Previously used my 7Pro at rehearsal and was super impressed... However, I could not replicate that sound in any way shape or form to my live sound tonight... not by a long stretch. The louder I turned up, the worse it got. EQ was flat. Volume at 3 and gain at 9... Took the 7pro home & gonna bring back my SVTAV... Changed my strings for good measure. Hopefully the gig will be better. End of story. Just wanted to vent.

10cc likes this.
  2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Bummer.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Really dumb question......Did you try lifting the ground connection between your rig and the FOH XLR?

Just asking because we did a gig at The Firehouse in Houston, a known decent FOH, good board & tech. As soon as the tech connected the FOH XLR cable to my stuff via their DI box(Line level signal split between my Line 6 BassPODXTLive and a kickback amp I use for mids & highs), buzzzzzzzzz.....so I got my DI out, pushed "GND LIFT" button and used it instead of their DI box. Problem solved.

The wireless is a head-scratcher unless the cable between it and your amp was going garbage on you. I've had that before.

Fat Steve likes this.
  4. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Tried it all.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My XDS-95's have almost zero noise. I think it's broken.

6. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Gonna test it in the morning here at home.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Welcome to the world of what it sounds like at rehearsal, and what it sounds like at the gig.

8. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Wireless is fine. Subbed my SVTAV in for the 7Pro... and changed my strings. Tried the SansAmp again and it's still has a very audible hiss going through the PA. Swapped out cables, everything... The phantom power would not work, so I tried a power supply... Still hissing. Tried a WTDI and it picked up a local radio station when going through the PA... Troubled shooted (not a word, lol) to death with the tech and could not rectify. No problems using it through the amp though. We worked at my PA sound and I am much more confident about it.

9. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Great gig tonight. Killer bass sound out front and from my amp!!!

Pat C. and JimmyM like this.
  10. Those are all symptoms of a bad cable, a crude diode forming in a bad cable.

pshep68 likes this.
  11. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    It was strange because I ended up using a cheap DI and the signal was good with none of these issues.

12. AuBassMan

AuBassMan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Have you tried the built in DI in the 7Pro?

s0c9 likes this.
  13. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    That's what I [currently] use, but it's too hot for the console, and not hot enough with the -40dB pad engaged.
    I have an active bass...So.. I use the -15dB pad on the front panel, DI out to FOH no pad. Works great...

14. Cheap DI's can not have the best isolation or buffering between the input and output. This can mask problems with cables or snakes, but also increases the chances of ground loops.