Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A sad state of affairs at the local Wal Mart

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Ok, I know I harp on Wallymart just as much as I shop there, so I ride the line of hypocrite constantly...I digress. Anyway, last week I goes there and something ludicrous happens that either makes me feel really old, or this person just really clueless..

I go (glutton for punishment) into the music section to poke around, actually thinking they'd have "Dig!" on DVD. No such luck. But what I DID see was that the Rolling Stones FINALLY re-released "made in the shade", which hasn't been available in like, forever. Anyway, what's funny (part 1) is that this CD, while rightfully a featured selection, had one of those hokey placards around it that said "hot new artist". Thinking this absurd (as little insignificant things like this always end up bugging me) I felt the need to say to the comely young worker there "isn't this a bit ridiculous?" while pointing to the "hot new artist" sign... to which she goes

"why?"

"well, because (1) they're not a new artist, and (2) this album is like 20 years old"

"really? I've never heard of them"

now this is where the whole "am I too old or is she really this clueless" part comes in. What would you have thought in this sitch? I just smiled and got out of there right quick so I coiuld go shake it off...

Anyway, I know, small potatoes, but HOW do you not AT LEAST have heard of the Rolling Stones? Is that possible? :meh:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe she was yankin' your chain.

brad cook

3. I really don't think so...the deer in headlights look gave it away.

At least they had the star wars figure I wanted (c-3po)

so not a total wash... :smug:

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I was in a record store a few years ago to purchase Paul McCartneys "Run Devil Run" CD. When I brought it up to the register to pay for it, the cashier looked at it and remarked " This is a pretty good CD, we've sold a lot of them. Did you know that Paul McCartney used to be in another band? I can't remember who they were though. Maybe you should check out some of their stuff."

I was floored! He had to be at least 17 or 18. I found it very difficult to believe that anyone born in the last 40 years hasn't heard of the Beatles. Even if you don't like their music, you probably know who they are.

5. Dude, that's messed up.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Beatles? You mean Paul Mcartney was in another band before that ground breaking rock group, Wings? :p

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, did the Beatles have any big hits like McCartney's "Live & Let Die" song he did for that James Bond movie? ;)

8. What, you mean McCartney ruined that wicked Guns and Roses song? How dare he!

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't think that song is about guns OR roses. Maybe you should listen to it again.
    :confused:

brad cook

10. Sorry, Guns'n'Roses...

man, that's twice in a day I've run into the grammar police... :smug:

guns: plural noun
    roses: plural noun
    Guns'n'Roses : Proper noun.

got it.

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I knew a guy who used to say "You know you're old when your kid asks you if Paul McArtney was in a band before Wings."

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I was talking to a kid about Paul Mc and he said "Oh yeah - he was in Wings". Which is not incorrect, but he had never heard of the moptops!I guess I should be satisified he'd even heard of Wings!Maybe I should order my 'Lil Rascal now....

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A couple years ago, one of my HS teachers was bitching about his date the previous night not knowing who Paul McCartney was.

Then, a slow, dawning horror began to make itself clear. Neither did about 3/4s of the class. The teacher and us 1/4 became shocked, feeling disgusted, violated, and just a little angry.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Huh? :confused: Seriously, man...that song is not about guns or roses no matter how you spell it. I don't know what makes you think it is.

brad cook

15. Again, what I think is sarcasm is being lost...

Guns'n'Roses COVERED the Paul Mac gem "Live and let Die". remember? They surely did. A few years ago.

It's just a joke on people who think G'n'R did it first...(because some surely did)... I didn't write the joke, just heard it ad nauseum from idiots who thought it was funny, sorta like when Metallica did "Turn the page". People said stupid jokes like "I can't believe Bob Seger ruined that awesome Metallica song".

Oh never friggin mind. I guess mine is a singular wit.

Should I just come back tomorrow?

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    or just like when my band covers minor threat and 13-17 year old skater kids come up to me and say it is not minor threat, but pennywise.

17. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    The situation seems to be more serious than I thought. :eek:

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    About five years ago, I was taking a music class and a girl who can't have been younger than 20 did not know what instrument Ray Charles played!

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm guessing this was in psl. which teacher?

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Madden. It was all I could do not to beat that man to death with is own hush puppies; but I had friends in his class.