1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A sad state of affairs at the local Wal Mart

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

THANK GOD ...

you didn't take the MISC MOD Test. I think 50 aggregate
    songs from those groups was the minimum passing score over there. :ninja:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm 29 and I can name many from all of those bands except for Wings. I never got into wings at all. Didn't they do Band on the Run? If so then that's the only one I can name.

brad cook

3. Can't forget "Jet", babe. Woo oo oooh oo oo ooh oo oo ooh...Jet!

(cue moog synth)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're right. I can't forget something I never knew.

brad cook

5. Got me there...I just figgered that was a universal song that made everyone in the world cringe...didn't realise it hadn't completely permeated society.

Color me surprised. :smug:

6. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. I may have heard it, but I wouldn't know it unless you played it for me and told me what it was.

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm 17:

Rolling Stones: 1
    Led Zeppelin: 2
    Pink Floyd: 10+
    Eagles: 2 (which is sad because I used to love The Greatest Hits Cd)
    Wings: 0

So I guess I can't be doing that bad...

8. 10 years ago was the 1st time in my life I felt the generation gap (felt old). My nephew who is only 10 years younger than I, had never heard of the Beatles. That just blew me away. After I played him a few songs, he said "oh yeah I've heard that before, they suck" Thank god he likes them now!

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, I may get the exact name wrong, but here goes:

Rolling Stones: "Satisfaction", "Honky Tonk Woman", "Time is On Our Side" (or something like that)

Led Zeppelin: "Stairway to Heaven"

Pink Floyd: "Another Brick in the Wall" (is that the right title?)

Eagles: "Hotel California"

I just never grew up on these musicians. My father played salsa and other latin music. My mom was really into Journey, (so I can name lots of there stuff), and Prince. That's really what I grew up with. In high school I started getting into jazz and soul music. Lots or R&B and jazz and Motown through college. There you have it.

I just had to learn a lot of Henrix material for a sub gig, and up until that time I had never heard a ton of his songs. I knew "Hey Joe" but that was about it.

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Time is on my side.

I love that song.

11. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Good god, you do not. My generation ruined Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd (When someone in my highschool asked me if I heard of Floyd I was like HELL YEAH I love Astronomy Domine! Huh? You never...Comfortably Numb...yeah I heard of it, no it's not the greatest song ever) , Lynryd Skynyrd (I never ever want to hear another song by them as long as I live. I will kill Shinedown for even thinking of covering Simple Man), the list goes on.

Who is that biatch that covered Time Is On My Side? She can have the same fate as Shinedown.

I think this is why I love death metal.

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan

Jazzbo,

You may not be able to rattle off every single tune by these guys, but, at least you have heard OF them. Even if you can only name 1 Zep tune, it still shows that you aren't out of touch.

Now, if you had asked "The Rolling Whats?? " , we may have to chastise you. ;)

13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait, are you telling me I don't like a Rolling Stones song, done by the Rolling Stones, because it was covered by someone? I didn't even know it was covered, and yet, apparently, I severly dislike this song.

I was unware. Thank you for setting my record straight.

And, if you said Black Dahlia Murder, Mastodon, Arch Enemy, The Haunted, Soilwork, Trivium, and In Flames aren't worth mentioning, I would deign to question your last sentence.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    While it is funny that Wallyworld was advertising the Rolling Stones as a "Hot New Artist", maybe the girl just isn't into music. I'm not into sports and if you asked me about an athlete instead of a band, my response would be about the same.

15. well then its doubly ironic that she works in the music dept then, what with all the WalMart ads touting that their sales staff is so knowledgable.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, I'm 40 and can name A LOT of songs by all those bands. I must be old and wise.

17. burk48237

burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    We'll like me your deffinently old!!!!! :crying:

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The point is, you are awake and live on earth, so you have, like it or not, you have heard of these groups. I find it silly that anyone who makes a regular practice of keeping their eyes open has no idea who The Rolling Stones are. Even if they work in Wal Mart.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's more like asking if you've ever heard of the Red Sox, or maybe the Yankees.

20. Grow up guys

;)