Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a saddened fender fan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Jan 27, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I must say that in the last few months I have been through 4 fender basses TRYING to find one that did'nt have some type of neck issue's that a new bass should'nt have,I'll explain.
    I started out with a Mex M.Hoppus bass(It was on sale for 299.00 )This bass had as many high fretts as it did level ones.
    So I returned it and got a Japanese G.Lee bass,and I thought for 500.00$ I could'nt go wrong,Well once again, NOT !:mad: This bass had a neck that was like a rollar coaster at 6 FLAGS.
    Then I am forced to bring that one back and settle for the Sting bass(I know ,I know,SORRY )That one had some neck issue's as well(I'm batting 1000 )so back to the music store we go.
    Now I have a 60's re-issue jazz bass(mexico 699.00 $ on sale for 500.00$ )Now I was impressed with its actual quality,sound and appearnce,It was well made to say the least.
    Its made with the same parts as most of the U.S re-issues,and sounds exactly the same as one,BUT it has neck issues as well,it has a back-bow at the top 3 fretts on the treble side,so either I spring for a professional neck job(I said neck job) bring it back for my 5th bass,or get a expensive replacement or vintage neck from some custom shop.:confused:
    I am very disappointed in Fenders quality control,all of these basses were new arrival's at the store and not hanging around for ever,they came from the company like this,they cant blame it on anyone else but themselves :mad: .
    What gives ? I went through 2 different factories,and 3 different types of basses and a few types of woods as well,so there cant be any blame put on a perticular run of wood types or bass designs,There's no excuse except shoddy craftsmanship.
    My next bass up-grade will not be a new fender,If I even decide to stick with Fender at all it will be a bass all settled in aged,NO NEW FENDERS FOR THIS FORMER FENDER LOVER !

2. I can understand your anxiety. My only beef with Fender is the inconsistancy of their instruments. Two of the same model are usually different, but to an obvious degree. It can be annoying. Maybe, as a chohesive unit, the members of TB should write letter to the company?

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    it seems like destiny has made it very clear that you and Fender should not be toghether.

Unlucky mate. Maybe you should try a guitar that isnt fender. this on time i am not going to recomend warwick, although some of you may no that i am a warwick fanatic. Yous should try a vintage old ibanez. mine is 21 years old, but sounds so damn fine.

4. Like that would change Fender QC........:rolleyes:

I purchase used, generally....... Vintage but not always. This is one way to get a great Fender, try it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Not that a letter would change anything, but it at least gives a statement. Besides, since two of the top threads are complaining about Fender, we could think of something.

6. I have read and posted on both those threads and I see mixed feelings about Fender.

As I pointed out in the MIA Fender thread, the poll is in favor with 23 votes for Fender as is. :meh:

I agree the QC is down but it has gotten better since the 70's. I had a new P bass, 1974, the neck twisted and I had to replace it by 1985, that sucks but, I still purchase Fender basses.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. I'll be honest, I voted for them. But that's only after trying one out. Oh well, I am looking at a MM Sterling, anyway.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I actually prefer the G&L Tribute line than the American. Consistency between each one is as good as you could ever want for a bass that price.

10. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I also agree with buying used basses because of the aging process is what I hate the most(waiting for it
    I own a 85 Fender p-bass via japan and it will cut heads with the best basses out there(any type p-bass american,japan,etc)and I would'nt sell or trade it for ANY bass out there PERIOD!
    But I was BROWSING at Guitar Ctr and when I seen a M.Hoppus p-bass for 299.00$ I could'nt pass it up,had I been looking for a bass specifically I would of gone through a totally different process of finding MY bass.
    I learned a very good lesson this time(take my time before getting any old axe),also I am training to be a luthier so this bass I have now gives me much practice,I got it to where it plays very well and to average player it is picture perfect as far as action and set-up is concerened,but I am spoiled because of my 20 year old p-bass which is as good as it gets when it comes to my perfect player and what it should play like.
    Next bass I get will be a vintage Fender that I will go over w/fine tooth comb :bassist:

11. I don't DARE reccomend learning to do your own setups or even bringing it into a pro to have it "setup" when your signature says you've been a bassplayer for 25 years. So I won't. :bassist:

12. May you consider trying some Lakland Skyline models???;)

Surely a Sadowsky will fix your problems, but those are expensive :hyper:

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Go get one of the KSD's...

[​IMG]

15. :cool: WOW! This is some bad luck. Sorry to hear about something like this. I've never had this kind of luck with Fender basses. I've had basses that I didn't like, but it wasn't for anything like this. I guess some people's "karma" is just all wrong.

I wish you the best in the future with whatever brand bass you go with.

16. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    i dont really like fenders either. but in the past month i have played a jaco relic. i was blown away. im a warwick buy and i like it better then the fretless warwicks.

17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  18. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    hello!
    I own a '75 mij jazz reissue, the neck is wrapping, random fret buzzes, finish craks under the 3 to 5th frets... and after e-mailing fender france (oups, sorry :D ) to tell my problems, the answers were something like :
    - according to my product number, my bass was 18 years old (bought in 1998),
    - problems with frets were my fault: suggesting that I play that bass 18 hours a day. :rolleyes:
    - and finally, to solve the problem, told me to ship the bass 700 km (+-300 miles) away, to the fender "experts" (I told them that an official dealer was next to me, but no echoes...).

sure, you can't predict what's happening in the wood, but that lack of customer support makes me think "first fender jazz, last fender jazz".

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think if you look at the MIA Fender Jazz basses you will notice a considerable increase in QC. They are better made instruments. You can have some great MIM basses too, but I think the MIA instruments are much more consistant.