Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Sadowsky on Ebay? YIKES!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, May 25, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man I wish that I wasn't so financially challenged right now. That bass is a honey! I was almost a shame that Roger put a pickguard over that top.

Let's see, what can I sell? Anybody here looking for....hmmm?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw that bass also, wonderful!
    I doN't what is the reserve price though...

3. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    A felt marker autograph on a plastic pickguard, how many sweaty gig do you think it will last.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I won't second-guess a master builder like Roger Sadowsky, but this is one of my pet peeves! Pickguards on $2500+ basses.... I can see why they are needed on Fenders, Musicman, and other mass produced instruments..mainly to hide the big gaping routs for the electronics. Rear routing, top loading electronics looks way nicer, IMO.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm with you I would never put a PG on such a beautiful bass.

But if I was the builder & someone said, "Can you put a PG on the bass for me", I wouldn't say, "No". :)

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    PG on Sadowsky are an option, Roger will charge you to put a PG. So if you don't want one, the bass will be cheaper :)
    People who have a PG on their Sadowsky is because they wanted it.

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I've got essentially the same bass except with a pearloid pick guard and hum canx pups, and I'm kinda digging the pick guard (I bought mine "off the rack," although he did ding me $15 for the pearloid). I like knowing that my fingernails aren't digging into that gorgeous flame top.

I wonder why Hugh is selling it. The live Bon Jovi special they've been showing over here in Korea has him favoring the white PJ; maybe the J fell out of favor? Hmmmm....

[Edit: I meant PJ, not PG. All that PickGuard talk messed with my head. :))]

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    lump, that's the obvious reason for having a pickguard (fingernails digging into wood). At a local store there are several used basses (Ken Smiths, Tobias, Spectors, etc) that were ruined because of the original owner's playing technique.

The other reason is aesthetics...some people just like the way they look. If you look at old Fender Jazzes the pickguard isn't there to hide the routes...it's a pickguard. On the newer Jazzes, where they weren't going to be offered without a pickguard, there was no reason to be concerned about how the routes look. IMO. YMMV.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I kinda feel that with that beautiful flame top that it was a shame to cover it. Most likely if I was ordering a Sadowsky I'd go for just a plain old standard sunburst top with a mint pickguard. That's my favorite Sadowsky. One of these days I'll have one.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's either cover it or gouge it. Pick yer poison:D

11. could go for a clear pickguard

12. If you cover it you'll never see it. If you don't cover it you'll see it messed up. Sort of a Paradox. The clear PG is a good idea.

13. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I did see some Sadowsky in the past with clear pickguard (But solid color body!).

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    That is one truly spectacular bass. I'd switch out the pickguard to a pearloid or an aged white. Purely an esoteric deal. The bass stands alone on its own merits.

Who ever wins that auction is going to be one stoked hombre. Wish I could be a contender.

Happy Memorial Day.

Bones

15. I have to jump in here. This is my Sadowsky bass (note the birds-eye board):[​IMG]Nice top, eh? The only problem is that I prefer to have the surface of the body of the bass closer to my fingers for popping/plucking. I can pluck/pop much quicker on a pickguarded Sadowsky or Fender. That is one reason why many folks put pickguards on their maple-topped basses. The pickguard effectivly elevates the the surface of the bass closer to your fingers. I read (maybe rumor) that Stu Hamm has two pickguards on his basses.

I spoke to Roger Sadowsky. He can either put a clear pickguard on the bass or seat the neck deeper into the neck pocket (I guess by shaving down the neck where it bolts on). I'm think I'm opting for the latter.