A scientific way to spec a custom noiseless bridge J for a specific P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Temcat, Sep 30, 2017.

1. I like my Tribute SB-2 as a "P on steroids" but am annoyed by the hum from the bridge single-coil J. It's also virtually impossible to find a ready-made replacement noiseless pickup due to its unique dimensions. I know that not all pickups work well with each other, and especially in a P/J pair.

I'm contemplating a custom noiseless J pickup. How would I go about that in a scientific way? My ideal is the one in Music Man Caprice in that it holds its own when soloed and balances well when blended with the P—and, well, doesn't hum. (I don't need it to sound exactly like that, just play well with the other pickup.)

2. Pickups are much more of an art than a science. The best approach is to find a good pickup manufacturer that you like, and tell them to wind you a pickup to pair with whatever you have. They will know what to do.

In any case, you want a J pickup that is humcancelling, has a similar output impedance to the P pickup, and has a slightly hotter output than the P pickup, so that you get a balance when blending.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021