1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Scientologist Answers--keeping it civil

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by disenchant, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I know the post was closed, but as a Scientologist I don't find it offensive if someone asks about my religion--so long as they aren't debating my religion. I would love to know about other religions and what other people believe. I would not tell them they are wrong.

I would like to answer the questions purely for information. Because if someone doesn't understand something they should get the answers, right?? And then form their own opinion. That is a strong Scientology belief. Get all the info, then form your own opinion. Don't let anyone tell you what to believe. Believe what is true for you.

1. Do you believe in a God? If so what are his/her/its characteristics?

Yes. God is different to every Scientologist. L. Ron Hubbard only says God is infinity, the 8th dynamic. You don't have to give up your religion to be a Scientologist. You can be a Christian and a Scientologist, and many people all over the world are.

2. Whats the deal with the whole Xenu story. I will admit it seems a bit far fetched but then again so does the ressurection of Christ if you dont fully understand it. Please explain it from a believers point of view.

I know nothing of Xenu. I have no formal documentation from the Church on it, only hearsay from the internet--and should we believe everything we read on the internet? I can only say that it is a story that has gotten blown out of proportion and ridiculed.

3. Are all of the beliefs and practices revealed to everyone from the get go or is there secret knowledge only available to upper levels in the faith?

You can get all the books and lectures on amazon.com. I wouldn't call that "secret." There are no secret beliefs or practices. There may be information specific to jobs that you would not know unless that was your job. But it is like that in the regular working world.

4. Could you explain the whole auditing thing, what is the basis for this?

I could explain auditing, but I really don't have the time or space. So, if you're curious, go to www.dianetics.org and get the book! All I can say is I have been audited and it is amazing, wonderful and it has helped me to be more alive. It's easy to do, you could even audit your friend.

5. What has scientology done for you personally? How has it changed your life?

Before Scientology I was married to an alcoholic. I hated my life. I didn't get along with my parents. I hated my job and had no career path. I started with a Scientology course on how to communicate. It gave me the courage and skills to leave my marriage and begin again. I took more courses on communication and one on money management and that helped me even more. Before Scientology I never played an instrument because I didn't think I could do it. But I started playing the bass, and even used Scientology study technology (learning how to really study and learn) and I was able to learn my first instrument. Things didn't always run totally smooth, the first band ended up breaking up. But now I am putting together another band, I've improved my playing and I'm happy to report I now get along great with my parents.

What I really learned is how to let go of situations and experiences that were holding me back (through auditing) and how to become captain of my own destiny. In relationships, one cannot always control the other person, but you can always control yourself. I am now a cheerful person with a positive outlook on life. I have Scientology and the Bass Guitar to thank for that :)

Anyone that has questions should not take my word for anything. Nor should you take the word of people who got kicked out of the church. Would you go to someone who got fired from a company and then ask them what they thought of it? You would not get a pleasant answer. Would you go Burger King and ask them what they thought about McDonalds and hope to get a fair answer? A good place for answers is http://www.whatisscientology.org/ And then read it and form your OWN opinion on it.

I hope that people will limit this thread to questions and answers, not debates. I would never tell someone else their religion is wrong. True religion aims to make Man better. I can't see how that could EVER be wrong.

Or else lock this thread as you all see fit.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Can you explain to me what was before scientology?

For example, before 1AD, there was no Christianity. Jesus came and said "yo, I'm Jesus, your God. Worship me! Hey... what are you doing with that cross there...?"

But essentially, Jesus just took Judaism.

What was before Hubbard? What makes him so special? How do you know what Hubbard said is right? Jesus supposedly fulfilled a bunch of profecies and did miracles. The Jews were lead out of Egypt, and I think Muhammed conquered a bunch of land or something, so they each have their reason to say "See? God was on our side!"

What should make me believe in Scientology?

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Nuttin. You choose to believe it if it feels right in your heart, you choose not to if it's not for you. Same goes for Wicca, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hindu and on and on. I think disenchant explained things quite nicely and more power to her. :bassist:

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    There needs to be some sort of reason, though. Like I explained, the Jews were led from Egypt, Jesus did miracles, and Muhammed was a badass. That is their reason.

You watch too many Disney movies.

5. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Nothing should make you believe in anything. Scientology is not something that is taken on faith. If it can't be proven, it isn't true.

L. Ron Hubbard was simply a mortal man who believed "...man is basically good he is capable of spiritual betterment, and it is the goal of Scientology to bring him to a point where he is capable of sorting out the factors in his own life and solving his own problems."

No one ever tried to "convince" me that Scientology was right. If something in Scientology isn't true for you, then it isn't true.

We are all unique individuals with different pasts and different needs. What I need is not what you need. Therefore I woudn't ever try to convince someone they needed something that they didn't. Nor would I tell someone else what their problem is. However, if someone needed help I would help them in any way I could, maybe by giving them some Scientology info that helped me--but no guarantee that it would be what they needed to help them.

As humans we LOVE being right. It might be nice if we could grant each other the right to believe different things, and not try to convince others they are wrong.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The problem I have with auditing is the machine, the E-meter. I am an electronics nut, and I know an ohm meter when I see it. It's adjustable to give any desired result. I don't trust that sort of thing. Can you explain a bit more in depth about that?

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    My point is I don't see a real reason to believe Scientology. If I'm trying to find a real belief, what should convince me of it?

Or, let me put it this way: what made YOU believe in it?

You say you took courses on communication and stuff. Do you believe it's because it was Scientology-based courses that made them so good, or were the courses just taught like in any other place and Scientology offers more?

EDIT: Also, is the whole hierarchy true? With the OT levels? What level are you? Do you have to donate a lot of money to get higher?

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You tellin me Winnie the Pooh aint real, son?
    I'll have him smite your sorry *ss.

At any rate, I have a copy of "Dianetics", doesnt really connect with me much though, but it's certainly does not strike me as the bizarre thing that the media sometimes makes it out to be.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you need to be convinced to practice (certain) religion, then it's probably not for you! I'm not a spiritual person myself, but I respect others right to practice their own regardless of their reasons for doing so.

10. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    It seems to me that Scientology is more of a way of thinking and living life than a religion.

As for me, I'm a Christian. I'm not a Bible beater though, and I can't stand people who are. I live my life for God, but I can live it for myself too. The way I see it is that if its right with me and its right with God then its ok. I don't hate homosexuals. I'm friends with some of them actually. I'm a democrat, too. Thats rare in the South. I don't really believe in any certain denomination either... I think they separate us as a religion. I'm not going to let one group of people interpret the Bible for me. I'll believe what I want and how I see it.

The posts I write in forums are really... well I don't combine my sentences that much. I just kind of say things as they come to mind. Which is a lot different than how I write a paper, which normally comes out really good with little proofreading needed. But when I make a post here it seems badly written. Just an observation. :p

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

It's a given that if you need to be convinced of anything, you will believe in nothing.

NOTE: That was not directed at anyone, or anything in particular, as it applies to everything. Just think about it for second.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You say it's a given, I say it's a cop-out.

What do you think about "Fair Game"?

- about Xenu?

- about Hubbard's quote "I’d like to start a religion. That’s where the money is."

13. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Not all things are done on the e-meter. I admit, I was weirded out by it at first. What were they going to do...shock me? Were they going to know my deepest, darkest secrets? Were they going to know if I was lying? EEEE!

My first auditing was not done on an e-meter. You could do that kind of auditing to someone else if you wanted to, just by buying the Dianetics book. Anyone can do it, and it's kinda neat.

Basically it is believed that for every experience you have, you also have a mental image picture that goes with it. For example, if I told you to imagine the last time you were at a concert you would get an actual picture in your mind of the concert from your point of view. It might include sound and/or smell and/or touch.

Some experiences we have also include negative emotion like grief or anger. Chances are if I told you to imagine the last argument you had with someone, you would get the picture in your head and then get angry all over again. So the emotion is tied to the experience.

Your mental image pictures and emotions have actual mass. The e-meter runs a very, very tiny current through your body. When you think of an emotionally-charged situation the e-meter's charge is slowed because of the mass.

The e-meter can't tell if you're lying, but it can tell if a situation you are thinking of is emotionally charged. Auditing procedure gets rid of the emotional charge. So an auditor can use the e-meter to locate areas of stress in your life and then he/she can tell when they are gone. It's not scary when you understand it.

Auditing cannot be done "on" someone. Both parties have to be willing participants. And, of course, you can stop or leave at any time.

14. I don't think he did...he doesn't ever ask people to worship him. He does ask them to believe in him though, and I don't think he 'took judaism', it's just an extension to it.

None of it makes any sense to me anyway.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So it's a replacement for psychological analysis. Interesting.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Is there any peer-reviewed research out there supporting or disconfirming Dianetics? I'd like to see some empirical evidence of its effectiveness.

17. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Disenchant, Thanks for you response, I understand that ones beliefs are ones own and even if I disagree with someone, I wont try to change that.

From your explaination, it seems that Scientology is more of a philosophy/self-help system than a religion. Is that a correct assumption or is there a more esoteric side to it?

Do you bring God into the auditing sessions or is a more scientific methodology?

Is Scientology reliant on God (whatever you believe it to be) or a seperate system?

Thanks for your participation in this, John

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There is a house with four sides, and each side is a different color.

Four people are around the house, one each per side.

They were told the house is one color.

What color is the house?

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Ugh. Everybody who says "you shouldn't be convinced of anything" are making me sick.

If I tell you there is a dragon in my backyard, you'll want some proof, yes?

This is what I'm saying. People are making outrageous claims ("I am the messiah!" , "I am the prophet!" Or whatever) and not backing it up. That's ludicrous.

If it's a preference like "I like chocolate ice cream" then I don't need any proof. It's just what you like. But people are saying "eating chocolate ice cream will make you a better person." Now it gets interesting. I'd like to be better. But why should I believe you when the guy across the street is telling me to eat vanilla ice cream to get better? How do I know who is right?

If nobody is right, then why are you doing it? That's my whole point.

20. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Well, if you don't see a reason to believe it now, then you should buy a Scientology book and see if you agree with it. Check out Dianetics from the Library. Then you'll know if you do or don't. There are no reasons to believe other than it worked for you. If it doesn't work for you, well then I wouldn't believe it in it either!

The only thing that made me want to get into Scientology is it worked for me. I like it because no one tells me what to believe. I like it because no one tries to solve my problems. I hate it when someone tries to solve my problem or tells me what is wrong with me. Scientologists give you the info, but never evaluate for you. I thought of my own solutions for my problems. I've even asked for solutions and they won't give them to you. Because if you don't discover something for yourself then it's not really true for you. The minute Scientology stops working, that's when I'm done. But it hasn't. The more I get into it, the better my life gets.

There aren't "levels" as much as there are just steps to take in order to become a happy, productive and free human being. They are numbered for convenience. I've just started on my journey. I know OT Levels sounds like a mysterious cult, but really it's not. If you can imagine that all the bad experiences and negative emotions as a pile of sh*t that you carry around, people in the OT levels have shoveled out more sh*t from their being. So they are freer. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.