1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a Second Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by servetakid, Apr 10, 2009.

1. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    hi

i bought a cheap as chips bass to strart off with, and i am looking for something new that will make people go wow! and sounds great to, for about $800/£500 max. i like anything Gibson style, semi hollow, but not a huge of fender style.

any suggestions

2. used stingray/singray5\
    can't go wrong with one

3. nik1093

nik1093

Apr 13, 2008
    PA
    Lakland Skyline hollowbody. Used no doubt but these are amazing I feel.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The Epiphone Jack Casady Signature bass would fit your needs pretty well - right at your pricepoint, pretty "Gibson" and not "Fender", semi-hollow, and will catch eyes in either its Ebony or Metallic Gold finishes. Sounds like a winner to me! :hyper:

5. or you can save future money and buy a fender jazz bass... you will eventually anyways!
    i never thought i would but i'm going to too!
    i really think a stingray would be best for you. it has that stingray "IT" sound. it sounds like itself and nothing else... therefore you can play anygig with it.
    Ibanez prestige BTB's are really nice too and play great.
    buy used. you get more insturment for the money, so you can love it longer and it will pay for itself. i still play my second bass (first real bass) all the time
    its a myung signature

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Not knocking the suggestions to buy a Stingray. I've had two, still have one, and I have NO plans to ever get rid of it. It's simply a GREAT bass! However, it doesn't really fit what you're looking for. Given that you suggested Gibons-ish and hollow, then I think the Skyline Hollowbody and the Jack Casady are great suggestions, though the Skyline would have to be used.

I've sometimes thought about a hollowbody but I only play 5-strings and off the top of my head I can't think of a 5 string hollowbody (not thinking acoustic bass and I'm DEFINITELY not thinking boutique-level). Not a big deal, though. Even if there are lots of choices I can't afford one right now.

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Lakland 44-02 used......Variety and Wow to spare!!!

8. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Get a Steinberger Synapse. You can get a used one on e-bay for $500-$800. They are solid as a rock, sound great, are very playable and definitely get the audiences attention because of there unique shape. Now if you have unlimited money, check out the Ritter basses to spin heads............