A second phase of the experiment. (You thought it was over, didn't you)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

<font size=3>
    Who is your favorite artist and why do you like him/her? Explain.</font>
  2. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I was always partial to pop- and op-art - Peter Max and Andy Warhol, that kind of thing. I also like Patrick Woodruffe's stuff, and for pen and ink, you can't get any better than Robert Crumb.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cool, 72.

I should have mentioned I mean only music.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    For me, I think it depends on the musical genre. For rock, I think Geddy has to be my favorite bassist. For music in general, definitely Bach. I cannot think of a composer who did more for music during his lifetime, nor any musician who was near as prolific.

I think part of that is because average everyday folk don't seem to share the same levels of appreciation for music in general the way other musicians do. That may not be a totally fair assessment, but I know when I talk to people who have never experienced music as a personal form of expression, they probably don't really know where I'm coming from. It's like they can appreciate it, but I don't know that the music speaks to them the way it does to people who've had more exposure to what's entailed with composition and performance.

I find this is especially prevalent with what the layman would call 'classical music'. It's like, people know what they like when they hear it, but they are unaware of the arrangements, techniques, and mastery of various composers. There are pieces I just totally get lost in, not only because it sounds incredible time and time again, but because I have an inestimable reverence for the sheer mastery and technique. I've always felt that music was the greatest artform ever discovered and/or created. I can think of nothing else that comes close to the limitless and dynamic expression of music itself.

I'm glad there's sites like this where people can come together and share their appreciation on another level, regardless of the artist or genre. :)
  5. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Heh, I knew what you meant, just thought I'd try and hijack the thread and take it into a different direction. :)

In any case, it's hard to pin down a single favorite musical artist - I was very heavily influenced by Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention in my teens, and have listened to his music probably longer than any other single artist... although I have very diverse tastes when it comes to music and the people I appreciate, FZ has probably been the most enduring for me.

If we're just talking bass players, Geddy of course, Gene Simmons (shut up, you), Steve Harris, Robert Trujillo, Vic Wooten, Geezer Butler, and Tony Levin are the artists I most admire and try to derive style from.

6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I'd agree with what Seamus said - I wouldn't quite say he was my favourite artist perhaps*, but Bach was a genius. I've only recently started playing, or at least trying to play, his work, and I think that it's some of the most beautiful music ever written.

But at the same time, it's so simple - deceptively simple. (The Mingus quote in Bruce's sig is absolutely spot on.) He doesn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary harmonically or melodically, but the amount of emotion in his pieces is incredible. Like Seamus says, it's not really something that is always appreciated - I myself didn't grasp quite how talented he was at composing until I tried to do something myself approximating his style.

*That's, of course, Mark Hoppus. :p
  7. i would have to say that my favorite muscian/bassist is michael manring without a doubt. everything about him is just incredible to me. for non bassist, i would have to say stevie ray vaughn or jimi hendrix just for putting so much of themselves into their music and just letting it flow out.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    John Coltrane
    ...I don't really have to explain that, do I?
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't have a single one, but I most admire the musicians in the piano trios of the "Post Bill Evans" trio "school" - Keith Jarrett, Fred Hersch, Brad Mehldau, etc....Also Kenny Barron. What the first bunch has in common is that their music is geared toward an intimate and spontaneous interplay of the parts rather than just soloist and accompaniment...in order to pull this off, each player in these groups has to understand the role of the voice of the instrument he/she is playing in the overall sound, and react to the space or lack thereof coming from the other players. I feel that this represents musicianship of the highest order.

Or, to put it another way, There just ain't nothin' else like it. .

I admire Kenny Barron because there really isn't anything he can't do, and he does everything he does really, really WELL.
  10. My favorite artist is Christian Wolstenholme, from the band Muse. I really like the way he handles his pedulla rapture's ( * uNf * ), i love his tone, and he's just drop-dead gorgeous ( :D )
  11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    my favorite has to be the all mighty Jimi Hendrix.But bassist,probably Bill Evans and Jaco Pastorius,there completely different.I shouldnt have tot explain Jaco but Billl Evans makes up some really good slap riffs.And he always has some good drums playing with him.Also the funk guys at a music shop close to me,when i hear them play,it sound,sometimes like its faster than jaco,and better than bill evans(and they mostly play slap).there so fast and can always keep a rhythm.