1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A short rant on earbuds...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Felken, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yes.

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. No.

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I'm talking of earphones just for music here, and there's one kind I hate.

You know the in-ear types?
    upload_2016-12-3_22-42-34. These ones.

They are the worst.

The first thing that annoys me is that I'm looking up for some good earphones to purchase and ALL of the results are these types.

So why do I hate them?

The sound quality is pretty bad usually. Not to mention, they are very intrusive and always come out of your ear with wax.

but the WORST part is how they block sound. I try to listen to music, but because they block your hearing, I start to hear the earphone's wires. Every time I move I hear a muffled version of the wires moving creating this annoying thumping, like when you're underwater. But then I start hearing all the noises my mouth does, all the body sounds.

I hate in-ears. I'd rather stick with the apple earpods, which so far, are the best I've ever had.

So what do you guys like/hate/recommend?

2. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Sounds like you just have extremely low-quality earbuds.

Also, you could need to go to the doc and get your ears cleaned out. A couple months ago, I also had wax come out when I took off my earbuds. I was SHOCKED at how much wax the doctor pulled out of my ears. Everything sounded better, too.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lousy ear buds sound lousy.

When musicians use in ear monitors (IEMs), they are in essence using ear buds.

Clean your ears, dude.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    No need to go to the doctor, IMHO/IMPE. Grab a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (normal 3%) for a buck or two, put your head over the sink or step into the shower, turn one ear up, pour it full, wait a few minutes while listening to the tiny bubbles (tedious) flip head the other way, repeat, drain the second ear, good to go. You can buy other stuff for way more money to do the same thing, (or spend far more on a visit to the doctor) but why?

All credit to my first dive instructor.

I continue to prefer a pair of big olde-fashioned over the ear earphones, which are rather beat to heck but still sound good enough that I sound like I'm there when listening to a good recording. These old things...
    271080000000000-00-500x500.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    For years I was a big fan of the Bose buds. But I actually like the newest Apple buds even more. I like them for listening to music and practicing bass when using GarageBand or MainStage.

Felken likes this.
  6. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    ...or maybe I DON'T have an ear problem.

7. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

A nurse told me once that mineral oil in the ear for three days in a row, then use a baby nose bulb with warm water in your ear. Works great for removing ear wax.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    earbuds just can't deliver good bottom end. No bass player will ever be satisfied. Cans are the only way to go.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I see a lot of musicians (including bassists) gigging with IEMs. Can't remember the last time I saw a bassist on stage with headphones.

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY

11. I enjoy mine:

Klipsch-R6i-Case.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  12. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    No recommendations. Just came here to say that I prefer the in-ear type that actually go inside the ear instead of hang, and cancel noise. The typical iphone style earbuds I'm constantly resetting them, or even holding them to my ear so they don't sound so tinny with no low-end. I guess they're safer - more likely to hear the truck coming when I'm out running, or whatever. The newest ones stay in a little better, but still not the same.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Who was talking about IEMs? I sure wasn't. I want to change my testimony immediately. I was talking about listening for pleasure. You DO listen for pleasure still, don't you? Don't you dare fall into that trap of thinking "work only." Don't you DARE! You will regret it. Put on a pair of cans, dig out some psychedelic/jazz/prog immediately, and kick back and RELAX. Do NOT use earbuds!!!

This message brought to you by Clorox.

14. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    These always hurt my ears (physically, not from sound) and never fit right. apple-earphones-with-mic-earphones-view_1.
    The kind you showed above always fit better for me. I never expect them to sound great, but they do the job while I'm mowing the lawn.

Felken likes this.
  15. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    I detest earbuds. However, for it's due to the inside of one ear being considerably smaller than the other, and earbuds always hurt and fall out of it. Plus, the old kind that go all the way over tend to block out more noise for me, as well as deliver more bass.

zontar likes this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Ahem.... OK, where to start. A good pair of earbuds that seal to your ears (not like the earbuds you got thown in with a phone or something that don't seal) have no limits on how low they can go acoustically. You can actually develop a better seal with them than with a set of headphones. Either can seal well enough to give you bass that's just fine.

I won't recommend brands or models (conflict of interest), but I can tell you that if you haven't heard earbuds that deliver enough low end to play bass through, you're not done with your search. They are out there. I played though a pair this weekend that had abosolutely NO lack of low end (and I have backups of two other models that work just as well in that regard). Indeed, I did some low cut on my mix, as the FOH guy was boosting my bass's low end a bit more than I wanted to hear in my ears.

Dominic DeCosa and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    if you are googling, try headphones instead of earphones.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This is correct. A quality IEM that seals the canal can deliver excellent bass response.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    So you guys are suggesting I seal my canal? I'm not sure I can take that as friendly advice...

:D

20. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    As long as you don't get canal warts.

rujulian likes this.