Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A short review of my AG 500SC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indi86, Apr 19, 2005.

1. After finally selling my 5'er, I ordered one of these babies from Planet Bass. Holy smokes!

This amp, for the little I've had a chance to play it (about 3-4 hours, 3 of those being live so no real tone noodling time) rocks my world. The easiest thing for me to compare it to is its big brother the DB 750. They sound similar, but the DB 750 sounds more open.

One word sticks out in my mind: definition. This amp is relentlessly well defined, picking out individual notes and forcing you to really turn up the bass and the turn the treble down to get the slightest hint of mud.

So far I've played both my Warwick and my Fender 4 through it, and the tone reproduction is beautiful. For what I paid for this, I could not be happier. Add to the wonderful tone the blue LED's and the fact that it weighs less than 18 pounds, and this thing rips up most of its competition.

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The blue LED's would do it for me. If it also sounds good that is just a bonus. What cabs are you running? At 4 ohms with the EQ flat, how much volume do you get before it reaches the T.O.F.? How does this compare to other rigs you have played?

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    AG500 was stupid loud with my 4 ohm GS410. I couldn't get to the TOF without first reaching my own pain threshold.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool indi!

what cabs are you using with it?