Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A short story with a great ending….

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by lenanddeb, Mar 12, 2006.

1. During May 2005 my wife accidentally discovered the website for Barker Vertical Basses (BVB). As a lifelong bass player, I was intrigued by the beauty of the instrument and wanted to learn more. So I e-mailed Lee Barker and asked if he would mind if I came to visit him and his basses when I had a chance. He said he welcomed guests and to come visit.

On July 8th I had the chance. Lee encouraged me to bring along my current instrument and amplifier so I could easily do a side-by-side comparison. I played for a couple of hours, switching back and forth between instruments, and found that the BVB had wonderful tones and evenness of response across the strings and frequencies. Many instruments seem to have “hot-notes” that are always louder than others – not so with the BVB. And it is a beautifully finished instrument.

So, I decided to buy one. Unfortunately I was between jobs and not in a position to spend the money. Nonetheless, I stayed in touch with Lee. I visited twice more, once with my wife, also a musician. I continued to be convinced I wanted to own and play one of these works of art. When my job search ended successfully, I asked Lee to build one for me. He invited me to select the body grain I liked and then he proceeded to complete it. Lee graciously worked with me and allowed me to have some custom work done to the neck before final assembly.

Well I got it home yesterday afternoon, March 11th, and didn’t put it down except to eat dinner. You know, until you listen to an instrument in familiar surroundings, you never know for sure how it compares and fits in. Well now I know. I love it! And it is a truly beautiful sculpture.

I just want to thank Lee for being patient with me, graciously letting me visit several times, choose the grain, and working with me on the custom neck work (and thanks to Todd at Portland Fret Works for the inlays).

Lee, it’s been a long time coming but it’s been worth it. Thanks!

Leonard

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Welcome to Talkbass! Great Story!! Now that you've got the bass, you need to update your profile and get it off your GAS list :D

Lemme know where you're playing out. I'd love to see one of these in action...

-robert

3. Robert:
    Thanks for the alert, I updated my profile. We don't have any dates scheduled right now but you're welcome to listen in at rehearsal most any Tuesday night. Contact me at: leonard@weitman.net if you're interested. LW

4. anderbird 13

anderbird 13

Feb 19, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Enjoy your new bass, I am sure it is outstanding, as is Lee.
    SA

5. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    We've just posted a picture of Leonard and his new Barker on the barkerbass web site on the "my Barker and Me" page. He's in the bottom row.

Pretty cool wall graphics there, Leonard...