A Shout Out To My 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, May 22, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I purchased an Ampeg 810 on wed and gigged with it last night. I have never been more impressed with a cab in my life... i could hear myself perfectly and the tone was incredible. I will not be buying another cab for a long, long time.
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you can transport it to and fro, an 810 cab is indeed a very cool thing to have! Be careful of your back though, you only get one... :cool:
  3. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Speak for yourself...
  4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you want to blow out your back from hauling around a 150+ lb. cabinet time after time, be my guest... You didn't list you age in your profile, but I was young and I thought I was invincible too. :rollno:
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Agreed. People really were never intended to be lifting large weights of over 50lbs, let alone 150lbs. That's why so many older guys have atrocious backs, and it's not because it's natural. At one point in their life they decided they could lift object_x, and their spine couldn't.
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Welcome to 8-10....they kick serious booty. I love mine and yeah it is heavy but like I have said before, so is the tone. :D
    I have yet to have any problems with mine and seem to be able to cut through any live situation so far. I got sick of getting lost with a 4-10. Glowing tubes and an 8-10 and we are in biz.... :bassist:
  7. I hear 8x10's can move quite a bit of air.

I wish I had a big enough car, and enough muscles to have an 8x10.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And again, my peanut-gallery opinion:

4x10 times two = 8x10. Lighter, more versatile, healthier. Same coverage, same number of speakers, same tonal goodness.
  9. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Don't all the 8-10 have wheels? All the Ampeg ones I ever have seen do.
  10. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Oh yes. :D

I always try to have help when lifting my cab. My back isn't doing all that well these days (I'm quite young too), so I'm not taking any chances.

Lazlo, congrats on the purchase. :)

11. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    The wheels arent big enough to get into any vehicle I've seen.
  12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Nor to get onto most stages. :crying:
  13. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Not true, you could get a short bus! :bag: That could actually be a very good idea for moving gear. I'm going to go check out ebay...
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Probably not until your third compressed disc happens.
  15. Hey what's up. I just bought an ampeg svt810e yesterday from guitar center. I thought i'd take advantage of the "don't pay for 15 months" deal. Well anyways I'm sopose to pick it up tomorrow so I can't wait to get it so I can jam out.
  16. that's waht I'm planning to do. buy an ampeg head (probably SVT3-PRO) with a 4*10, and after a while, buying another 4*10 :D now I only need some money

congrats with the new cab though, I'm jaleous
  17. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003

??? that wasnt really called for.
  18. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Well, I don't have an 810 but......I've got the Ampeg 1540 wich is 4 10's and 1 15 in an 810 cab. Love the tone. Even though it has wheels I bought a heavy duty dolly with pneumatic wheels from Sam's. It's way easier to push around and doesn't jar the cab as much as the stock wheels and makes the cab seem lighter. Best $39 I've spent in a long time. ;)
  19. I don't see what the big deal is about the weight issue. All my svt 810's have had the towel bar handle and the fixed wheels, and I never had a problem getting a bandmate help me lift it when I could not just roll it. Now as for the 85 lb vintage svt head its another story as far as moving it alone goes. But I think most decent 410 cabs weigh about the same (90 lbs. on average) and are not much easier to move alone unless of course you put some wheels on them or get some help.
  20. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Amen bro.... if ya got to put the funk up in front the 8-10 is the real deal. I have spent ALOT of money learning this lesson. Heavy is as Heavy does.... :smug: