A Silly Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Well, I can no longer create new folders in windows :meh: .
    It is not a big deal as I can just bring up the MS-DOS prompt to do it, but it is still a little annoying. Normally, in Windows 98 you could open up 'my computer' then click file->new->folder. However, all of the sudden the 'new' option under the file menu does not exist (it also doesn't show up if I right-click on my desktop). Instead, all that is listed under the file menu is create shortcut, delete, rename, properties, work offline, and close. If I right click on the desktop all I get is active desktop, arrange icons, line-up icons, refresh, paste, paste shortcut, and properties.

Believe it or not I'm actually not computer illiterate, but I sure am confused on this one. I tried adjusting the folder options but nothing worked. Any ideas?
  2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    How long has it been like this? Because this happened to my mate. it was a virus that deleted the registry key. Al you need to do is reinstall windows xp. Well, you could find the registry key that got deleted, but that will take away a lot of time. Beware though. People say that if you play a windows cd backwards it gives out satanic messages. Even worse though, play it forwards and it installs Windows! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  3. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
  4. The first thing I'd do would be to install a virus checker and spyware checker.

It does sound like a regkey is missing.

It has been a while since I've used Win98 but there could be a "Fix" option under Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup.
  5. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Actually, I think you want to make sure you're clicking on the white background and not on an icon. It sounds like that's what you're doing.
  6. No, I wasn't clicking on an icon :D.

Thanks Woody, those links you gave me did the trick.

I do regular spyware/virus checks with ad-aware, spybot, and AVG. I had a bit of a similar problem recently with the LoadPowerProfile process in msconfig. I was getting rid of some of the useless startup programs that had built up and found that the LoadPowerProfile entries were associated with a known virus. I deleted them but now the real entries are not there. I guess it doesn't matter though because I don't use any advanced power management options.

Thanks for the replies all, problem solved.
  7. My Computer can't even recognise "My Computer" from the Control Panel anymore. I did a re-install of the OS, and it's still messed up.

Time to reformat. :smug:
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002

Hey, I'm dumb enough to do it! :help: