1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Silly Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Well, I can no longer create new folders in windows :meh: .
    It is not a big deal as I can just bring up the MS-DOS prompt to do it, but it is still a little annoying. Normally, in Windows 98 you could open up 'my computer' then click file->new->folder. However, all of the sudden the 'new' option under the file menu does not exist (it also doesn't show up if I right-click on my desktop). Instead, all that is listed under the file menu is create shortcut, delete, rename, properties, work offline, and close. If I right click on the desktop all I get is active desktop, arrange icons, line-up icons, refresh, paste, paste shortcut, and properties.

Believe it or not I'm actually not computer illiterate, but I sure am confused on this one. I tried adjusting the folder options but nothing worked. Any ideas?

2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    How long has it been like this? Because this happened to my mate. it was a virus that deleted the registry key. Al you need to do is reinstall windows xp. Well, you could find the registry key that got deleted, but that will take away a lot of time. Beware though. People say that if you play a windows cd backwards it gives out satanic messages. Even worse though, play it forwards and it installs Windows! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
  4. The first thing I'd do would be to install a virus checker and spyware checker.

It does sound like a regkey is missing.

It has been a while since I've used Win98 but there could be a "Fix" option under Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Actually, I think you want to make sure you're clicking on the white background and not on an icon. It sounds like that's what you're doing.

6. No, I wasn't clicking on an icon :D.

Thanks Woody, those links you gave me did the trick.

I do regular spyware/virus checks with ad-aware, spybot, and AVG. I had a bit of a similar problem recently with the LoadPowerProfile process in msconfig. I was getting rid of some of the useless startup programs that had built up and found that the LoadPowerProfile entries were associated with a known virus. I deleted them but now the real entries are not there. I guess it doesn't matter though because I don't use any advanced power management options.

Thanks for the replies all, problem solved.

7. My Computer can't even recognise "My Computer" from the Control Panel anymore. I did a re-install of the OS, and it's still messed up.

Time to reformat. :smug:

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Hey, I'm dumb enough to do it! :help: