A simple question about band names...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Yay.

8 vote(s)
  2. Neigh.

28 vote(s)
  1. Does "The Audio Syndicate" sound like "Audioslave"? I really like this name, it's not been taken by anyone on bandreg.com or anything, and people have told me it sounds good. Yet our damn guitarist says it sounds too much like "Audioslave" and "people would think we're a cheap rip-off".

Do you agree with him, or do you like the name?

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    People will only think that you're a cheap rip-off of Audioslave if you sound like a cheap rip-off of Audioslave. :D As long as that isn't the case and you like the band name, I'd say go with it. ;)
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I agree with JPJ.

The name reminds me of techno music. What are you going to be playing?
  4. It's a mix of Vai/Satriani stuff and some Greg Bissonette-style stuff too...

But yeah, I told him that even if people think it might sound like Audioslave, we're totally different.

Ah well, I'll crack the cheeky chap!

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Your band name is your brand. Personally, I'm opposed to band names that are confusing or misleading. Such names double your work. If folks think your name sounds like an Audioslave tribute band, they show up to a gig and your music is different, they will feel frustrated or misled (unless they do happen to like your music.) The others, though, may feel the name was a bait and switch ploy.

Why not come up with a name that is unique, so that it doesn't create preconceived notions? I actually like the Syndicate part of your name. Why not come up with another first word?

It is wise to take great care naming a band. As I said, that is your brand name and it has to do a lot for you. It is best to choose a name that works for you and not against you.
  6. drewsifa

Mar 27, 2008
    I throw party's and The Audio Syndicate is actually the name of my promotional company, and the future name of my label. There's also some DJ out of Chicago that's going under the name audio syndicate now apparently i just found out.
  7. Band names are tricky. It's hard to find one that isn't generic but doesn't sound like you tried too hard thinking of a name. An example of a band name I find odd is when your band's name is part of an already well known band's name. For example, there was a local metal band that went by the name Killswitch, and there is already a fairly popular metal band called Killswitch Engage. Their name is often abbreviated by fans as just Killswitch anyways. I'm pretty sure they finally got around to changing it or they quit.
  8. nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    MySpace pulls up one in chicago and one in california.
    A google search for "audio syndicate" pulls up in being in use
    in lots of places....... think I'd look for another one.
    But not because it sounds like Audioslave (heck that never
    even crossed my mind!)..because its already in use.

We went through hundreds of names trying to name our band,
    added a few dents to the wall with our heads in the process...
    found a couple we all liked but then when we did a search on em
    they were already in use or way too close to other names. Or when
    we ran them by friends they stood there scratching their heads.

We finally narrowed it down to two and then went around asking
    every person we knew which one they liked better.... 3 out of 4
    chose the one we use now (aCute Affliction) :).

Something to keep in mind is that if it starts with an "a" it'll
    show up near the top in search lists (we didn't name ourselves
    because of that but it is an added bonus!). Please don't go
    all stupid and start yourself with symbols to be at the top
    (like ~aardvark or something) of any lists though :).
  9. Shishkbob

Mar 13, 2008
    Costa Mesa, CA
    i don't think of audioslave when seeing your name.
    keep it if you like it.
    if you think it is then, i say change it to Polyphonic Syndicate