1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A simple 'unique' fuzz with NO blend.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Over to you...
    Can you recommend something?

Thanks!

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    In terms of unique, do you mean original circuit or just that it sounds 'different' in one or more ways than other effects?

Snaxster, Maxfenderbass and Korladis like this.
  3. You're going to have to be more detailed than that

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    plenty out there but most make me wish they had a blend. Like the Superfuzz, or the FuzzFace. Most unique fuzz that doesn't really have a clean blend is probably the Prunes & Custard, though. That has a 'mix' knob but it's not for mixing in clean, it's for mixing the OD circuit (to the left) with the waveshaper (to the right).

Nunovsky likes this.
  5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Good question-Thank you for prompting a clarification!
    I mean both.
    No clone and a sound that is unique to the given pedal( how realistic this is, given how many fuzz pedals are out there...well...)
    :)

zapped777 likes this.
  6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Prunes & Custard, Malekko Diabolik, EQD Erupter, DOD Carcosa.

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Diabolik is great but it has a blend!

Nunovsky and vegas532 like this.
  8. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Having a dry blend knob doesn't mean that you must use it.

-Frank

9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Carcosa or ssbs Mini. Carcosa for more fuzzy fuzz Mini for overdrive with bias adjustment. Carcosa gets low bias sputtery too. Joyo Orange Juice would be my next choice. Prunes & Custard (mine at least) Does have a blend, I used it mostly clean, about 30/70 with a tiny bit of filter most of the time, the drive is applied to the filter along with your signal making it more or less tripped. Most people use it for a very present synthy sweep, I tried to avoid that to make a woody swell sound responsive to my attack.

Nunovsky, gregmon79 and blindrabbit like this.
  10. I'll recommend using TB's search function, it's okay, or search using Google:

" [topic to search] : www.talkbass.com "

Seriously.

Acoustic 360 FUZZ clone

Nunovsky, blindrabbit and Jakeman like this.
  11. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I agree, and this one sounds better with out the clean. I use it either way, as a clean boost with no fuzz or vise versa

SUB BUZZ

gregmon79, loopee and blindrabbit like this.
  12. Fuzzrocious BDPG either version offers a unique bass oriented fuzz with a tone stack that offers a broad range of tones, V2 adds an additional gain stage at the end making it far more versatile. Great for driving bass lines or for a cutting solo tone.

Moody Sounds Hjart Muller Lo|Fat is a broad range bass overdrive that is very usable from low gain to very saturated, Klang is a fairly unusual tone stack that tilts in a very usable way. This pedal has been on my small board for it's versatility, being able to tweak the knobs is a nice feature.

DOD Boneshaker is a really great sounding drive pedal with a broad range and the three band semi parametric EQ allows for some extreme tones.

rratajski and Jakeman like this.
  13. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    EarthQuaker Erupter & IdiotBox Cool Buzz.

Both simple to dial in, with no unusable bad settings. Both look great too!

zapped777 likes this.
  14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Dunwich Wizard.

Korladis, Impermanence and Jakeman like this.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Now THAT one sounds cool. I'd order one if it didn't have that über intense nuclear solar retina blistering blue LED.

16. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Fuzzrocious Blast Furnace or a cranked EBS MetalDrive?

rratajski likes this.
  17. Blue is cool and mine is not blinding at all.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  18. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    I've got a Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom- To my knowledge it's not a clone of anything. Fairly unique, gated fuzz tones- Although sometimes I feel it could do with a clean blend.

Fuzzonaut likes this.
  19. IdiotBox Blasteroid, discontinued but Prymaxe still has some: Idiotbox Blasteroid Fuzz. I have one and I love it. Thick and can be synthy. The smash knob adds a weird resonance that is subby at lower settings and gets more nasal and starts gating at higher settings.

IdiotBox Lazer Fuzz, weird filtered square wave fuzz. It has a knob and a switch with internal volume trimmer. Most of the settings work great without a blend. The upper switch position settings probably work better with one(I keep my Lazer Fuzz in a loop of my LS-2 to better control the volume so I sometimes use it as a blend but mostly not). You can get some really good octave up fuzz sounds and of course, lazer noises.

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Seems weird to specify one without a blend. If you don't want a blended sound, you can just put it to full mix. Otherwise, you're just limiting yourself needlessly.

Fuzzbass likes this.