1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A slap plate?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jdthecrazy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I love to slap on my fretless Warwick. Where in the world can I get a slap plate put on it so that I don't tear the neck up?

2. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Do you have a picture of what you mean by a slap plate? I've never heard of such a thing, nor do I see the need to add anything to protect anything.

Are you talking about a pick guard? Your fingers shouldn't be doing any damage to the finish, but if you're really aggressive a pick guard blank could be cut to fit, or you could just get a clear piece of contact paper to cover the wood under the slpa zone.

3. Until today I hadn't either. Apparently it's a piece of aluminum shaped in the radius of the fingerboard, that goes on the end of the fingerboard to stop the strings from digging grooves.

4. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Interesting. I can only guess that what one person calls a "slap plate" is what most bass players call a "ramp." But ramps are usually made of wood and the primary purpose is to limit the distance your fingers travel between strings.

Start Here. There are a thousand discussion on the forum if you need more info.

5. No no no. A ramp is used for placing your fingers and goes between the pickups(usually). A slap plate is pretty much what the original poster described, but I recall it being there as to "add" to the slap sound rather then keep the strings from wearing down the fingerboard. Unless you're fingering directly on the slap plate, it won't save you much wear and tear. As for where to get one, my best guess would be to have a luthier custom make one for your bass.

6. I don't think a ramp and slap plate are the same thing. The plate is supposed to cover the edge of the neck because that's the part that's going to get the most abuse from slapping. At least that's what I'm assuming. I read about it from some dude's post in Strings. I guess the idea is when you slap on a fretted bass it hits the frets but on a fretless bass it's gonna hit the neck, possibly denting it.

7. no guys its not a ramp, its like a piece of metal that has two edges (one for the top of the fret board and the other for the drop of at the end of the fretboard) 19649.jpg

8. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Now THAT is a cool idea...

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If that's your first time seeing one, It's been around for years Joe.

10. Yeah, I was thinking it would look like the pic justballs13 posted. So, you guys think I'd need to have one custom made? The bass is just a Warwick Corvette Standard, but I like playing it more than most of my other (more expensive) basses. Sorry for sounding so ignorant, playing a fretless is newer to me. I've always been more into playing than gear, so like I said, I can sound kinda dumb. Thanks.

11. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    jusballs, thanks for a useful post. I have heard of brass being inlaid in a strip across the end of a fretboard for the same purpose, but never seen it executed like that, or called a "slap plate." That's quite sweet looking.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like more bass snake oil to me. You don't put grooves in your FB from slapping unless you're beating it to death as hard as humanly possible. And I can't imagine it making a slap sound better. Geez, people who slap are too tinny sounding now already. Early 70's slap sound is where it's at. "Brick House"...now that's some good slap tone.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    IT does tear your board up eventually. There seems to be a lot of posts recently about damaged fretboards from this.

even if you are the softest slapper in the world. the strings still slap the wood with force in a way that it can only handle for a period of time until it starts to splinter a bit. I have seen small cases of this, all the way to parts of the fretboard breaking out.

14. Yay, I posted something useful! Haha. I saw this thread and I was thinking "o crap I JUST saw this thing a few days ago" and then I was scrambling to find it, but thanks to the trusty "search" feature included on talkbass....haha :p

15. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    I learned how to play bass on a fretless and I learned how to slap soon after. I remember thinking that it didn't sound right. Now I know that it didn't sound right because the frets have a lot to do with the sound. I definately wouldn't mind a little help especially if it looks good and has the possiblity of making my fretless more versitile.

Back to the original topic question, where can one of these be obtained?

16. Actually 90% of the time I don't slap, but I like it more on my fretless than my fretted basses. When I need to play something funky I reach for the fretless. So, where can I find one of these things anyway? Oh, and thanks to all who have replied so far.

17. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The purpose isn't to protect the fingerboard, it is to give it the same sound that you get when you slap a string against a metal fret. Slapping against wood doesn't sound the same. It is a great idea for people that want to play fretless and still get a modern slap tone.

gebass6 likes this.
  18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I won't slap my old Aria because it does not have a pick guard and I don't want ware below the strings where my finger nails hit the top. A pick guard would solve the problem but I don't want one on it. too pretty. :)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ah, so this is for fretless slappers. Funny, that point missed me the first time. Never mind.

20. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    I've always thought that slapping sounded good on fretless, precisely because it's more organic sounding. Putting metal there will make it tinny, but that's a good sound too if you're going for it. Wouldn't you just want to epoxy the the board to keep it from getting grooves? Moreover, the corvette, if memory serves me, has an ebony fingerboard, or some other hard wood. I doubt it'll wear down all that fast anyway. I'd play it till it grooves, then fill the grooves with epoxy and refinish it smooth. Just two cents.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021