1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A slightly different blender

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigBassBob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Hey guys, I tried searching for something matching my requirements but I couldn't find anything suitable.

I basically want a blendable looper (ala, Xotic, Barge Concepts etc) but I want two switches... one that will turn on the loop with the blend control set to how I want it and another that will turn on the loop with NO blend/cut so the signal is completely wet.

I was thinking of emailing Barge Concepts and asking if I could get a VFB-2 with the feedback switch replaced with an all wet switch for the loop, anyone know if they'd be up for doing that?

Cheers!
    BOB

2. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    WOOPS! Just looked at the Xotic site properly, if I understand correctly, does the series loop simply run through any effects placed in the loop like a normal looper and the parallel loop run though the effects except with the blend knob and controls active?

Cheers!
    BOB

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep - on the VFB-2 customs, most TBers seem to get the feedback loop pulled out for either a normal loop switch (in other words, 100% wet), or a second blend function (to have two different footswitchable blend settings for the same loop).

And yes, you're right about the Xotic - series=normal, parallel=blended.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Correct! One of its best features IMO. That way I get to easily A/B the tone qualities between blended and non-blended fx.

5. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    funny, I might be building something similar to what you want soon, depending on if I decide I need it or not. footswitch 1 turns clean signal off footswitch 2 turns effected signal off

6. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Thanks for your feedback guys, I've pretty much got "my" overdrive sound anyway, it's just I was thinking of doing some experimenting with some variations... I was hoping to have 2 sounds: 1 full on OTT overdrive and clean but with the dirt of my overdrive sound laying underneath my bass. The best way to achieve that would probably be to get a bi-amped setup, however money is too scarce and it would be complete and utter overkill for most of the gigs I play :rolleyes:

Cheers!
    BOB

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I commissioned a custom buffered blender from www.olcircuits.com that should be shipping soon.

2 switches... 1 for on/off and 1 to switch between 2 different blend knobs (one could be set 100% wet in your need). So the 3 choices are:
    1.) bypassed
    2.) blend ratio #1
    3.) blend ratio #2

I also has a phase switch added incase and because I run active basses a little bright into my FX, a passive volume and tone knob were added to the dry path.

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Barge Concepts is a great company for custom jobs!

Here is what mine is going to be: (very similar to James Hart's)

2 loops, 4 switches, 6 pots, 8 jacks pedal in the Hammond-DD box (same size as the larger Electro-Harmonix Pedals)

2 loops with independent in/out/send/receive jacks each with these features:
    -true-bypass switch to turn the loop on and off
    -second switch for choosing between two variable blend controls
    -red/blue dual color LED's for each switch
    -variable impedance control

here's what it is going to look like (plus the addition of another pot for variable impedance above the outer blend controls)
    I can't wait for this thing! :D

[​IMG]

9. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on the Xotic X-Blender.. love this pedal!

+100 on that pretty looking custom Barge Concepts..

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Agreed... that's going to be a cool custom pedal to use when it's all done! :bassist:

11. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    That's the hope! Until then, my pedalboard looks funny with an empty space where this pedal is going to be :D (I actually took out a ruler to measure out a spot... :oops:)

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine just got powder coated mint green (kinda sea foam greenish from the sample image I saw) and it'll have a pair of Green LEDs in the eyes of the image I made for it...

blender-art.

The image is going in the larger open area to the right side of the pedal seen in this preliminary sketch I sent to OLC

james-blenderloop.

That Barge looks cool... dual loops FTW!

13. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I use the Xotic and it has two switches, one that activates the loop and another to activate the blend. When the second switch is inactive the blend is at 100% and you can toggle it without activating the loop, so really it does the trick.