A small amp, with big sound??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Alright, I'm looking for an amp.. I've never bought one before and honestly I don't trust any salesman because they will probably just sell me crap... So! I came here.. A logical solution I thought... Anyways, down to business... Currently I'm using a Hamer 5-string cruise bass and a ME-50B BOSS Mulitple effects pedal... I don't have a vehicle right now... So I'm looking for something that will be smaller in size but that has more umph than a cell phone... can you guys help me out... My price range is $400-$550..
    Mind you, when I say small I don't mean tinny, I just mean something easily transported... Thank you for your time... :)
  2. Ashdown MAG210t-300, I really like mine. Great amp, loud, small, enough to cut gigs and rehearsals. Maybe a Mesa Boogie Combo. If your price range is between $400-550 you have many choices, go try some amps out and take your bass with you. Good Luck!!!
  3. Alright I've written down the names, I'll phone around town so that I don't wander down to a place for no reason... Thank you
  4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Eden makes small amps that pack a huge punch. Check out the WT-300. You should easily afford one for around $400 or so, or you could maybe get a WT-400 in the $500 range.

I just got a WT-400 and I love it.

5. Wow,... After looking at your gear fetish link I'm going to take that into some serious consideration .... jeez... makes what I have look like a friggin lemonade stand...
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Walter Woods Ultra. 1200 watts, and 7 pounds. Can't beat that. :)
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, what he said. i've seen the Mag's for a mad cheap, and even more so on ebay.
  8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Peavey Databass.

1-15 combo

450 watts rms

used..no longer made...but loud and killer.
  9. Thanks for your help guys....
  10. Hartkey kickback 1x12 120watts
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ashdown. I've yet to be disappointed in any of their combos. And with $550, you can get into head/cab easily with them.

12. Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II.
  13. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think that he'll be able to get a 700RB-II and a cab with $550.

What kind of sound are you looking for? That would help us give you suggestions for things to look at, but judge with your ears not your eyes. Don't go by name or numbers, go by sound.
  14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yorkville XM200.
  15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Don't be fooled. That's a list of everything I've ever had, not a list of everything I have now. Right now my list of gear is fairly short. Warwick Thumb 6 Bolt-On, Warwick Streamer LX5, Eden WT-400, Genz-Benz 210T-XB (x2), Genz-Benz GB115B, Genz-Benz Intro 50 combo (x2), Peavey SessionBass head, and a few effects I never use. I'm trying to sell the SessionBass if you're interested. It's 200W and very light. Also selling the Genz-Benz 15 and on of the Intro 50 combos. PM me if you're interested in anything.

16. Well as far as tone I like a really rich, thick tone.. I often play along the more technical side, so I do like it to sound clear and not muddy, with a good amount of power backing each note. I don't want an amp that can hook to my belt or anything, just something that does'nt way 1/5 the weight of a car... something I could put wheels on and list without much effort..... Thick tone ... oh yeah.... :bassist:
  17. when you say you don't have a vehichle, does that mean you'll be hitching rides with other band members, taking the bus, or riding your bike? I doubt you'd want a separate amp and cab if you're on the bus, but it would be a big deal to have a separate, small cab if you're hitching a ride with a friend.
  18. I'll be taking the bus, hitching rides, walking etc,... The way of the nearly broke... well that will be the story after I buy the amp that is... I'll employ whatever means at all to get to the gig... I'm not in a band right now but I thought that foresight should be employed when buying my equipment, especially if I'm going to be playing with a band, with multiple gig spots...
    I'd like it to definately be able to get over a drummer and a guitarist if need be as well, should've said that to begin with but hey! Who here does'nt right..? :bassist:

also: weight is an issue.. :bawl: :confused: