Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A small tube amp for recording...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Jan 19, 2005.

1. :help: Hey TB-ers,
    I'm a young player from Australia who recently started really taking bass seriously, and I'm looking for a small tube amp, mainly for recording purposes.... and I've always just gone for loud solid state stuff... But for funk and blues, i'd really prefer that great sound of tubes. Any advice?
    P.S.
    I'm on a students budget...
    :smug:

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    You might want to look around for a Pignose. They're an all valve practice amp - I've played one but it was so long ago I can't remember how it sounded. No idea on the cost though.

I just bought an Ampeg B15 (around 25 watts, all valve) off the internet and the amp itself wasn't too expensive but the shipping cost almost as much as the amp. The B15 sounds like it's exactly what you want but the costs and rarity in Australia are really against you.

You might want to consider something like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI which retails for about $500 or the Sansamp RBI Preamp which retails for about $1000. They're both very good and do a decent job of getting that all valve tone. I've used the Sansamp PSA-1 (it suits both guitar and bass) for recording and I doubt you'd be dissappointed. They're not amps but they're great for recording.

3. Thanks a ton for that mate
    I'll look into it

4. Try looking up flite classic combo by flite sound and sonic cord. They used to 1,000 u.s. dollars. they recently upped the price.

5. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'd look for a nice Blackface (if you have the bux) or a nice Silverface Fender Bassman.

Hook it up to any decent speaker and voila! Instant fab-tone.

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    You may be able to score a Traynor Bassmate down under. THey're even pretty light if shipping is required. 2xEL84 doesn't get too loud, but they have great tone within their limits.

I second the rec for the B15 as well. Unless you are really isolated, one should turn up locally with a little patience. They're probably the most recorded amp in history!

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Do you need a speaker? If you are just going direct what about the Ampeg tube DI?

8. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    You're much more likely to find a Traynor or a Fender Bassman - even they very very rarely come up for sale. Unless you're "win the lotto" lucky you're never going to find a B15 locally. I've seen one for sale in 10 years - it was a solid state version and waaaaay overpriced. It sold in a matter of minutes of it being put in the paper.

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I guess the B15 didn't make it to Australia, then. Maybe the Traynor would work out. They're probably about 20lbs, and you see them on eBay all the time between $200-$300 US.