A smoking/strobing bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Grainge, May 12, 2016.

1. Josh Grainge

Josh Grainge

May 9, 2015
    England
    So I just came across Colin on Youtube, and he just released this video on Youtube:

I'm not sure if I feel as though the bass would be unplayable, or just really awesome

Thoughts?

Barbaric.Eric and srcTW like this.
  2. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    It would be pretty unplayable with the tube down the neck - the body mods might be worth I if you had that kind of show.
    Did I miss it or did he not bother demonstrating it in action? Isn't that the point o putting all that work in - to see it go?

Atshen likes this.
  3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Well, it certainly embraces the theatrical! The tube on the neck does render playing much more uncomfortable, but i'd certainly think it's still playable. It reminds me of something that would be seen at a Rob Zombie concert, with their lava lamp guitars and "blood" filled guitars.

4. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Now, I'd totally play a lava lam bass - though only for a few songs due to weight and comfort (has to be heavy with all that glass and water (you wouldn't do it with lexan - it wouldn't stand the heat) as for the blood filled - not my style - but with half blue liquid and half clear and something that sits in the right half (like those kirtchy plastic things with a sailboat) would be kindof fun. Again - not a main bass, but something to keep on the stage and play for a couple of songs.

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Where's the BEEF?

6. Josh Grainge

Josh Grainge

May 9, 2015
    England
    My thoughts also, I think at the video he said something about modifying a guitar and then demonstrating both together

7. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    John5's lava lamp guitar is actually done with antifreeze and a type of clear oil i believe, to give the effect without the heat, so it's still a type of plastic, and I'm sure still ridiculously heavy!

8. Josh Grainge

Josh Grainge

May 9, 2015
    England
    I think he spoke about it in a rig run down, I'll try to find a link

9. Josh Grainge

Josh Grainge

May 9, 2015
    England

10. Josh Grainge

Josh Grainge

May 9, 2015
    England
    He starts to talk about the tele at around 2:30 in the video

11. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Now I remember it (went and looked and have definitely seen it before) - so yeah - it's the same principle as the "water" cubes I was talking about - I did even read an interview - and yeah he commented on how Heavy it is.
    EDIT - Doh! went and found it BEFORE I looked up and saw you' posted it.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  12. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    Colin is a mad genius. Ya gifs stuff isn't quite practical but outs more about the spirit of three build. He made a 60 mph rascal scooter

13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

All attitude.
    Great bass to for those who excell at pistoning out some mean root note eighth notes.
    Need a lot of flash to distact the crowd from the lack of playing ability.
    How about some pinwheels and a "Ooogah" horn?

Don't forget to leap off the amp shouting "Rawk an Roll"

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    jd56hawk likes this.
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Well, we're not all trying to play the same music.

blubass and gebass6 like this.
  15. leesbrushes

leesbrushes

Jan 5, 2015
    aurora il
    none
    This sounds dirty .

16. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    If I remember the video correctly the pipe runs along the top of the back of the neck.
    It may actually improve technique by preventing the player from hanging their thumb over the top of the neck. Keeps the thumb nice and low. Could be wrong though. Also, people have different playing styles

17. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

In this case,they're not even focused on playing.
    And the audience that approves of this isn't likely concerned with playing ability either."Give us a show!Do some choreographed moves"!

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Eight minutes and 19 seconds that I'll never get back.

19. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I think that smoking bass is the least interesting thing that guy has made. While I somewhat admire his craftsmanship, the bass appears virtually unplayable.

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Has anyone made a Bass Frehley joke yet?

Remyd likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021