Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A solid jazz rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, May 14, 2005.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I made a thread earlier this week about a rig for college. I have been playing more and more jazz and have decided to get a rig more suitable for jazz volume levels, not rock. The wizzy from EA has intrigued me for a while now and i have read everything i can find on here about it. What light weight heads are good matches to this little cabinet? Mind you im a college student and dont have a ton of dough, so my budget is around 500 or so for a used head. The eden wt-400 has popped up on the classifieds a few times for around my price range. Is the wt-400 as warm as the wt-550 i have played through? Also, what wattage/rigs do you play through in your jazz groups?

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I told you about a brand new head that has a warm almost tube-like sound, and could deliver 800 watts @ 4ohms and 1200 watts @ 2 ohms, and is a natural for jazz, funk, hard rock and anything else you could throw @ it, would you be interested????

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    You would??

Then for about $499 on eBay, check out the Kustom GrooveBass 1200. I've got one,and I play jazz, funk, gospel, and blues. There are other cats here that have one as well...and we all swear by them as probably the best bang for the buck out there right now!!! This puppy rocks the house with tons of clean tone... check out Bass Player for a recent review.

www.kustom.com

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out a new Traynor YBA 200. $600, 200 watts all tube. Nothing is as tubular as tubes themselves. :bassist:

5. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I have heard good things about the Kustom. I will have to look into that. Is the traynor portable? Im guessing not since its tube. I just got charlie hunter's new cd and on the cover it looks like hes playin through an EA 1x12 and a Eden head. I love the tone, basically what im looking for. Just dont know how loud these things get.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Traynor isn't the lightest around, but you should be able to move it around fairly easy. For a tube head, it is pretty light. But then again, this is coming from a guy who can haul around a Mesa 400+ by himself so I dunno. I think the Traynor is about 50 (?) lbs. But unless you need to get it up some stairs, you can just put it atop the cab and wheel it around. If you don't want something that heavy, the Eden would be an awesome choice as well. It is quite warm.

7. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    go get the old fender schematics on the web and build it yourself you will save about 200 dollars

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The Gallien-Krueger Microbass combos seem to be pretty popular with jazz players. I took a workshop with Tim Ferguson who used one, sounded very nice. I have yet to try one myself, but it's at the top of my list of possible rig choices for college.

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    My rig of choice back when I was doing acoustic jazz on stand-up was a Traynor Bass Mate head (2 6BQ5, tube rectified) and a 2x10" vert. Of course, the volume was conversational, and the stand up accounted for probably about 25% of the volume acoustically , but it really was a perfect set-up. I'd guess it was a 15-20W amp, and the 2x10" was borrowed from a guitarist that played in a rock band with me at the time. Nice to have a two-trip load in.