Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A song question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Oct 30, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Anyone know what group covered Sublime's "Doin' Time". I think the name of it is "Summer Tyme". But I am not sure and I don't know who covered it or what album it's on.

Also, what songs have Deftones Covered. I have one titled "Limo Driver" on my computer, but I don't think that's the real name and again I don't know what album or whatever it's on. Thanks

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Oh man, talk about no roots.

Summertime is the ORIGINAL track.

It's a George Gershwin tune from the way back. You should check it and him out. He was the one who combined Jazz, Blues and Classical and did a TON to popularize what was 'black' regional music at that time.

Its been covered many times over, but most RnR people know the Janis Joplin/BB&HC version of the song.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Gershwin true, it's from Porgie & Bess. These kids today, LOL

4. owned.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Wikipedia, the non-nutritional fast-food of information estimates that there are over 2500 covers of this song.

allmusic lists 2150-something instances, but some are repeats.

While your daddy may not be rich, I would think that Gershwin's copyright holders should be, if'n they renewed it at the proper 28 year intervals.

Here's a nowhere close to complete list of artists who have recorded the song:

http://members.lycos.nl/summertimeweb/Artists.html

6. my band covered it.

Another group I played with covered it.

I heard that if it's over 50 years old, then it's in the public domain, so wouldn't it be free?

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I work with mostly print copyright materials, but from what I can tell, the original 28 year time period was good for a second renewal. But then, copyright law has been chasing Mickey's tail and the laws have changed. If'n the material was written in or after 1923, and the original renewal has not lapsed, then it's good for much longer than 50 years...it becomes 95 years. You can thank Sonny Bono for the upgrade from 75 years. I believe that materials that were written in 1923 will become public domain in 2018.

Now, on the other hand, if your copyright lapsed before the laws were changed, you're NOT grandfathered in. Good examples of works that were not grandfathered in are Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" (lapsed and not renewed in 1973) and the holiday classic "Its a Wunnerful Life" (1974).

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The Pharcyde?

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Yea yea. Rap group. But when I looked at their discorgraphy I couldn't find anything about it? What's up?

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Maybe The Pharcyde is on the Sublime version? I did a quick search on AllMusic, but I couldn't find anything.

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Don't know. Oh well.

12. No... it's "pwned"

...n00b

...Just kidding. :p

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    That's probably the Deftones cover of The Chauffeur, originally by Duran Duran. One of the coolest songs ever, IMHO.