A song related to 1984 (the book)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For school i read 1984 by George Orwell. I need a song that has a soemwhat similiar theme. The closest ive gotten so far is "wake up" and "township rebellion" by Rage against the machine. For those of you who dont know the book, its all about cesorship, "Big Brother" and the Thought Police. ie: the government monitoring everything, and no freedom of speech or expression. If anyone knows a Rage song or ANY song that fits this description, please tell me.
  2. How about the soundtrack from the movie ? (it's by the Eurythmics)
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    "1984" by David Bowie
    (inspired by the book, of course)
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not sure i would be allowed to choose a soundtrack or a song named after the movie, thats kinda redundant dontcha think? Il check out those songs though.
  5. Pet by A Perfect Circle might be something to look at. Although the lyrics are probably quite open to interpretation, the most obvious theme to me is an all dominating and powerful government keeping the populace ignorant, and under control.

1010011010 by Cog (www.cog.com.au - it's available in the downloads section) might be worth a look, but it uses samples from the movie so you might not be able to use it. Besides, I like to recommend Australian bands to the rest of the world :-D

...Back to lurking for me!
  6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Something from Bob Marley
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pet is one of my favorite songs! But unfortunately not what im looking for lyric wise, THANKS THOUGH.
    Ill check out that 1010011010 song.
  8. 1010011010 might not be what you're after either, then. But check it out all the same, I think you'll like cog :)
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Umm check out basically the album "Lucky" by the band "Fifteen" I'm not sure if they will have anything that directally pertains to 1984, but they are a highly political band with many things to say. Plus if you love old-school punk rock!
  12. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    The first track on Radiohead's newest album Hail to the Thief is titled 2+2=5. You can't get more obvious than that.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    no problem, glad i could help
  14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    How about "Every Breath You Take" by the Police. Kinda has a Big Brother feel to it.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *sings song to himself* Hey yea, ill check that one out too.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Red Barchetta by Rush has an Orwellian theme.
  17. Yeah... Eurythmics...

Sex Crime... c... c... cr.. cr.. cccc-crime...

Too-too-too-t too-too-too-tooh-tooh-tooh...

nineteen... eighty... four...

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Alot of Anti-Flag's stuff might be along the lines of what you're looking for.