a song that overwhelms you?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mara, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    I was wondering what songs give you the shivers or just overwhelms you in some other way?

For me they are:

Yes: And You And I
    Spock's Beard: June

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Any song in D-minor, the saddest key.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Anything by Devin Townsend
  4. Defenetly. I just can't help myself, I start crying instantly.
  5. Michelle Branch's Goodbye To You
  6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    "stand by your man"

Every good band should cover this song!!! :D :D :D :cool:
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ever heard "lick my love pump" ? :D
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ever since Ox passed, any Who song gets to me!

In live performance, the songs that touch me most are "Dock of the Bay" and "Let's Get It On"... the guys in my #1 band have nice vocal arrangements for those.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Three Views of a Secret" by Jaco's Word Of Mouth band. Yanks the tears right outta yer eyes!
    Also, Jaco and David Sandborn played on a Michael Stern song called "Goodbye Again". Brilliant, but sad tune.
  10. There's a song called "Children" by Robert Miles (I think). The melody, which is played on piano, is very melancholy. I can't listen to it because it always puts me in a sad mood.

Music always makes me feel nostalgic, which could be both positive and negative. Whenever I hear any song, I remember times and places. When I hear a hauntingly sad song, sometimes feelings of nostalgia and melancholiness (I know that's not a word) mix and I feel overwhelmed.
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thin Lizzy - Old Flame of Mine
  12. I can recall when John Lennon died and his song, "Just Like Starting Over" was getting a lot of air play, I had to hold back a few tears. Oh the irony of it all.
  13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Matte Kudasai -- King Crimson....It was just another killer song until I saw them play it live in 95 at the Warfield in San Francisco. Something happened...I almost cry every time I hear it now, it's REALLY wierd....I think I need a hug.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond -- Pink Floyd.... Still can't wash that one out of my hair. Shivers, nothing but shivers.

Forward to Death -- Dead Kennedys....play this for me before I go into battle. It's like crack.

Dizzy Atmosphere -- Dizzy and Bird....this song makes me so happy whenever I hear it I start bouncing like a freak...I can't contain myself.

Imagine -- John Lennon....enough said.

I could go on for days, so I'll stop here.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, that is a great, powerful song...I feel that Walking on Air is also up there with it...

Others for me:

Waterdeep - Lonely Sometimes and On a Night That Felt Outdated (and I had a friend who couldn't listen to Hush without crying)

Tom Waits - Hold On and House Where Nobody Lives, both off of Mule Variations

brad cook
  15. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i'd like to add dan fogelberg's "same auld lang syne"

the song brings me to tears everytime.
  16. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Yesterday (The Beatles) - 'nuff said.

Close To The Edge (Yes) - This song always amazes me every time I listen to it.

Washing Of The Water (Peter Gabriel) - Very powerful song.

Firth Of Fifth (Genesis) - I absolutely love Tony Bank's opening piano bit, it sets up the song so well.
  17. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Victor Wooten - Justice. Eerie at some moments. Just close your eyes and listen.

Along with Justice, a few other tracks on Show of Hands. They're just creepy but awesome.
  18. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    Believe it or not Good Ridance - GreenDay brings a tear to my eyes...It was the theme song at my grade 8 graduation, and it always brings back thems there bittersweet memories,, sniff..
  19. I hate to admit it, but that song still puts a lump in my throat. They started playing it on the radio right after I had broken up with a girl I dated for two years, and the lyrics were like a dagger to my already wounded heart.
  20. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    All those songs are absolutely brilliant. "Firth of Fifth" is such a great song, especially with the opening piano bit. Another great song from that same album (Selling England By the Pound, for those of you who don't know) is "More Fool Me". Very heart felt song... even if Phil Collins sings it. :)