Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A song with some really warped time in it for you to check out!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by El Bobo, Jul 14, 2005.

1. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    This song is off of my bands latest CD. The song is called "Why You." there are some interesting rythmic ideas going on if you are into that sort of thing :) The Chorus is in 17/16 and the ending has a very interesting displacement where the Guitar and drums add a 16th note every few bars until it meets up again making it feel as if the song is ripping apart. let me know what you guys think :bassist:

http://www.omni-music.com/whyyou.mp3

http://www.myspace.com/omniband

Chris

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I like the track. I was reading your influences at your Myspace and King Crimson seems to bleed into your music the most. The time signatures don't feel weird or out of place, I bet most non-musicians (granted, they like this type of music) would have no problem with it. Nice work.

3. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Hey, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, King Crimson is a big influence especially on that track some of the others less so but they are easily our biggest influence. We tend to like to make the rythm part of the subtlety instead of just forcing it in unnaturally which usually makes the music sound fake. In other words it is usually a pretty organic thing that happens when we jam because we are strange like that! Again thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it!

Chris

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Nice work - that's really cool.

5. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
  6. stringtheorist

stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    This is exceptional, IMHO. I'm a big fan of Squarepusher (Tom Jenkinson), Aphex Twin, and other Warp artists. This is similar in style, only more analog sounding. Very entertaining.

You might be interested in checking out some squarepusher, if he isn't already in your music collection. I'd recomend "Steinbolt" or "Tundra"

7. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Thats kind of you to say! Yeah, a bunch of my friends are huge Squarepusher, Aphex Twin fans. I am just getting into some of that stuff now. By the way there is no Synth on the song even if it sounds like it. It is all the sustainer guitar with several kinds of delay and tape reverb. Thanks for the thoughtful comment man! :bassist:

Chris

8. stringtheorist

stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    No worries man, thanks for the tune!

P.S. I saw Squarepusher live in Columbus a while back. Watched him rock his bass live.... and I mean ROCK it. Very talented bassist and composer, and my primary influence for wanting to learn to play bass.

9. i really like that guitar part...may i ask what is being used? that is really cool!

EDIT: this song is fantastic

10. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Pat used a Fernandes Sustainer guitar along with several delays (tape delay) and a reverb pedal coordinated with a volume pedal. Thanks for the compliment!

Chris :bassist:

11. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I honestly havn't enjoyed music as much as I like this track in like...ever. I think you'd like my band. We should defenitely do a show some time. :)

Hopefully we'll get a good quality demo down soon for yah.

12. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Thanks !!! Drop us an email when you get some stuff recorded I would like to hear it! :bassist:

http://www.myspace.com/omniband

Chris

13. Most excellent! I've been getting into King Crimson lately, so this track was very enjoyable. Keep up the good work!

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, certainly hearing the KC influence, but unique at the same time, you're not a cookie cutter clone, which is a huge plus. The guitar is even more ambient than Fripps approach, that's some heavy delay/reverb.

It's awesome to hear some new prog that isn't... Dream Theater (hatred). Cool beans 3000.

15. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Noone in our band is going to deny our KC influence! Thanks so much guys for checking it out and giving some feedback I really appreciate it! :bassist:

Chris

Http://www.myspace.com/omniband

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ooops, I was going on about the guitarist, I forgot to say, that's some killer bass work my friend. :bassist:

17. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    hahah thanks man. The bass is a little behind in the mix on this track which at first I was kind of upset about but I felt it was fine,as it was Pats (the guitarist) first OMNI album and I thought he should shine. :) :bassist:

Chris

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Which bass of yours are you using... is that an odd tuning?

Consider yourself myspace befriended... eventually.

19. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    I am using my Zon. It has a Hip-shot detuner on the B string so it is really in Drop A.

Chris

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought you sounded a tad lower than the average bear. Cool, sounds great.

Hey and here's a plus, I keep bumping your thread for you. Go me.